Kendall (Undone: Excerpts, Short Stories, and other Musings)

Inside the mind of Just Beneath the Surface Kendall”

Why do I defend him? It's not defending. It's more like I'm protecting him from people like you, who judge him – who judge us. You think you know him, you think you know me, but you could never understand. It's complicated, and it's beyond a bruise or a black eye.

Why do I stay? Why wouldn't I? Here's what people don't understand: The good outweighs the bad. He loves me, he trusts me, he makes me happy. He would do anything for me, and I would do anything for him. That means I have enough faith in our love to know we can fix this. That's love. If you don't get that, God bless you, because you don't get what it means to forgive. Love is patient and love is forgiving. That's why I stay – love. Isn't that why you stay with your wife?

He's been through a lot – so much hurt and betrayal. He needs me, so I'm with him, and I understand him. Our love, our connection, transcends. And ten years from now, I see us ...

Sometimes I – I feel like he won't stop until – no. I see us better in ten years. He has the biggest heart. He's the most sensitive soul – so gentle.

But lately, when it's happening – when he loses it – I can see me dead. Him standing over me, angry ...

There is no ten years. I can see me dead.

Undone