Prologue

Prologue:

I stood on the railing of the balcony and watched the grown man cry. It was early morning and the sun had yet to shine across the gray sea that was the streets of New York. Rage shook my body at the thought of her gone, and for a moment a more childlike side of myself thought it was the building that was shaking. Thoughts swirled around my consciousness, but I knew I couldn’t stay standing on this railing for as long as I would have liked. Every fiber in my being told me I would find her, and that it was simply a matter of time, but even now I was sure of one thing. When I did find my beloved; that woman, her mother; would pay. At the thought of that woman sparking in my brain; I could not hold back the urge to spit in disgust. She had taken what was mine from their three bedroom apartment, the nice one on the 16th floor and the place I had first saw her. A smile played on my thin lips at the memory. The sun had started to peak on the horizon before I could let the sense of nostalgia set in. I sighed angrily to myself as I stepped off the railing, but not before looking back at the heartbroken man crying in his daughters’ abandoned bedroom. I thought of the nights I had spent on that same balcony, watching a young girl dance as the floors rushed past me. The ground was getting closer as the seconds passed. One, then two, and finally three. The ground was feet away and anyone who might have been watching would think me suicidal but I enjoyed the rush of air that tousled my hair this way and that. The Adrenaline was outstanding as I pulled up a mere three feet from the ground. I soared up, past what was once hers on onyx wings. Yes, she would be mine, but before then I would have to gather my strength. As I flew all I saw was her, everything I had come to know about her and much, much more. Soon, very soon indeed.