Prologue

Okay so, as I mentioned in the description part, this story is kind of sci-fi/romance/teenfic and mystery. Do not expect a full on science fiction, but it's not gonna be a mushy romance-teen story either. Anyway, have fun reading(:

Don't forget to add it to your library, vote and comment if you like it(:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You’re from a whole other world, a different dimension…” Katy Perry’s voice filled the air and with a grimace, the only man in the car changed the station.

“Yeah, sure.” He mumbled as another awful song, this time coming from a screechy teen, was skipped with a single flick of his hand.

Turning off the radio completely, he slowed the car down and took in his surroundings. There was nothing distinct about the road, making him feel like he had been driving in the forest since the beginning of the time. With a shake of his head, he checked the time and quickly made a mental calculation.

“They said two hours.” He spoke to himself, trying to fight the sudden nervous feeling in the pit of his stomach. “Where the hell is that town?”

As soon as the words came out from his mouth, something appeared at the end of the road, causing him to grip the wheel even more tightly. He took off his sunglasses and narrowed his eyes to see what that object was. “A car!” He realized as the distance between them closed and with newly acquired relief, he hit the brake just to stop his car behind the other one.

The front door of the ugly, black and white painted car with the word “Sheriff” written across it opened and another man stepped out, wearing an equally ugly brown polyester uniform. With a glance at the tackiness of the situation, the somewhat tired newcomer left his car too and met the Sheriff halfway.

"Scott Caron.” His name was repeated by the man in the uniform.

“Nathan Landers.” Scott recited the name he had been hearing about since he got himself in this situation. He quickly examined the man that stood in front of him, recalling the details he had learned about him. He knew that Nathan Landers had been the Sheriff of the infamous town for ten years, but had no idea why he was suddenly short of a deputy. He had been also surprised to learn that the Sheriff was only thirty-two, four years older than him which makes him a Sheriff at twenty-two but hadn’t asked any questions about the unusual situation of this unusual town.

“I hope you’re not planning to make me wear one of this.” Scott continued, pointing at the uniform with a shudder, forgetting to greet the other suitably. “Chicks will think I’m a loser.”

Two men sized each other up for a while. Scott mentally cursed himself for making a start with the Sheriff with almost an insult but he held his head high, placing a smirk on his lips.

“You shouldn’t get your hopes high.” His answer came with a hidden smile curling up the corners of the other man’s mouth. “There are hardly chicks in town and I don’t think you’ll want to associate yourself with them.”

With the tense atmosphere between the two disappeared, Scott grinned, the hidden meaning behind the words not going unnoticed. “I’ll keep that in mind, Sheriff.” He said, stressing on the last word.  

“You better do, Deputy.” The answer was sharp, but still humorous since Nathan had mimicked his action and stressed the title.

Suddenly, they looked at each other, their expressions getting serious. “Well, it’s not the best career choice but still.” Nathan said, looking away, presumably to where the town was. “Welcome to Allentown.”

Scott rolled his eyes for the thousandth time since he heard the name of the town, not appreciating the irony. “Who says it’s a choice, Sheriff?” He questioned more to himself, looking around the endless green surrounding them with dread.

“Let’s go.” His companion seemed unaffected, urging him to get into his car follow him to his fate. “Call me Nathan, by the way.” He added after a second.

“Okay Nathan, let’s go.” Scott repeated unenthusiastically and they parted ways, Nathan getting into his car and Scott following him to the town.

“It can’t be that bad.” He told himself out loud, hating how his life had turned out in the end. “Even if it is, I’ll find a way to… Make it better.”