Prologue

Prologue

Some days I wish I could float off with tide. What would I encounter beyond this little island? What worlds are there to explore under the sea? Could there be mermaids, or monsters, maybe even the legends of Atlantis are true. I can just imagine spending my life under the sea, surrounded by beauty and nature. One day I hope to drift off with the tide, to be forever lost at sea, in a world of my own making, away from judgmental stares, and criticisms; to be forever free.

Each morning I find my self here on a rusted old fishing boat bouncing around in the churning seas, watching my father gather our nets, while my mind wanders, and roams. These hours are the only time in my life that I feel like I am home, and safe. When I am in our small fishing village, I feel like an outsider. I am not like the other children everyone here in the sound has a dark olive complexion, the same soft brown eyes, and the rich black hair. Not me though, I have a creamy white complexion, bewitching turquoise eyes, and long silver blond hair. I am abnormal.

Here with papa on the boat I am free to indulge myself in sea, I can swim, and float basking in the cool sea water. On land I was expected to play with the other children to run and play games, be quiet and obedient. Papa would tell me to mind my manners in school and mama would remind me not to talk about my love of the sea. It seemed that other then for food the sea was a dark, and dangerous place, not the peaceful retreat that I have made it.

I don't know where I cam from either, it seems that I am a mystery to everyone. One day Mama and Papa came home with me, no one knows where they got me or what my life was like before. I was too young to remember that life before. Some days Mama will tell me stories of my real mother, she says that she is just like me. My mother was beautiful, mama describes her as a princess, she says that she loved me but to keep me safe she asked Papa, and Mama to take care of me. I want to meet her one day I want to know why she couldn't have me. Why I couldn't grow up somewhere else, somewhere where people liked me.

I think Papa knows more about me then he tells me, he always is watching me when we are at sea. I feel like he is expecting me to grow fins, and just jump off his boat at any moment. He gets really nervous when I ask him to let me swim, but I love being in the ocean, and I have a secret too. I have friends down there. Under the dark blue green water awaits my friends. I can talk to them they understand me, and swim with me. My most favorite buddy is a little seal he finds me each time I am out, and is always sure to stick close to my side. I would have to say that he is my best buddy ever. He even gives me hugs.

The best thing about being in the water is how strong I feel. On land my movements are slow, and difficult, but in the water I can fly. My body twists, and dives just as fast as the dolphins that visit the sound every spring, and my lungs, my lungs expand and adapt sometimes I think that I could stay underwater forever, and my body would adapt. Maybe I would grow gills; I wonder if Mama and Papa would visit me if I grew gills.

“Papa?”

“Yes, darling?”

“If I grew gills and lived in the sea would you and Mama come visit me?”

“Emilae, why on earth would you ask that. It would be tragic if you grew gills, your Mama and I would miss you if you were not here on land with us. Where did you get such and outlandish idea.”

“Papa, it was just a question. I just wonder sometimes what it would be like to live in the sea. I love my swims, and being out here among the vast unknown.”

“Emi the sea is dangerous, you can never, and I mean never wish to have gills. The sea would swallow you whole, and never spit you out again.”

“Alright Papa. I still think that it would be cool.”

“I know you do little one, I know. Would you like to take a quick swim before we head back into to shore? I think I saw your favorite little seal follow us out, I am sure you would like to play for a while.”

“Can I?”

At Papa's nod I am in the sea, it feels like silk as I break through the waters surface entering the world below. My vision quickly clears, and among the blue green sea I see schools of fish swimming together, and off in the distance a brown ball of fur waits for me to join him. My very own little Trixster.