Prologue: Their First Meeting

The heat was unbearable, the cicadas were buzzing like mad. Only the sounds and the heat reminded the small girl of her surroundings. But another sound echoed through out the trees; the sound of sobs being held back as she wiped away the tears that continued to fall. "Mommy Daddy!" she whispered as she tried to silence the disgusting noise that continued to come out of her. She knew that if her parents had heard, something bad would happen, that's why she continued to try and calm herself down.

"-alright? ...Are you alright?" The appearance of two small, suntanned boys had stunned the little girl, causing her to blink as she glanced between the two totally different boys. "Did someone hurt you?!" They yelled at the same time, bringing their faces closer to hers.

She was stunned, unable to move or speak. How had two boys around her age find her in such a wooded area of the park? She had made sure to get as far away from the playground as she could so no one would find her, yet, here, these two random boys, that seemed to have known each other, had found her. These two strange boys she had never met before found her when no one else would look.

Just as they began to bicker about something she hadn't heard, she began to giggle, the tears slowing to a stop. They, too, slowly ceased arguing to stare at her with wide eyes. Without questioning it, they both joined in, failing to the ground beside her. Slowly they finished the laughter, finding they had ended up on the dirt ground, panting. All they could do was grin at each other.

Never before had someone come to question her, seeing if something was wrong. The idea often at times seemed impossible. But here, these kids she had never met before had found her and asked the question she thought she would never here. They cared about her, some girl they had just met.

She knew, as she grinned at them, that she would always be greatful to them.