Chapter 10: The Black-Eyed Man

Chapter 10: The Black-eyed Man

[ Haleigh's POV ]

The intimidating, bulky man that had been disguised as a police officer,led us down a long, beige hallway. It was very bland, and somewhat of a reminder that I might just not be able to escape this place.

I glanced at Nathan, who was walked stiffly beside me, glaring at the man’s buff back. He, too, seemed to hate the man. If only he had known that I had chucked a dart at the man’s arm…

We walked for a minute or so, until the man ordered us to a harsh stop. I dug the heels of my feet into the hallway’s wooden flooring to prevent myself from smashing straight into the man’s back.

We had stopped in front of a large, dining room. It wasn’t very clean or neat, but it wasn’t covered in mess. Just like the hallway’s walls, the crumbly dining room’s walls were a light, unattractive beige.

The hard, wooden floor had transferred to a velvety, smooth carpet that at least displayed some sort of fanciness in this overall house. There was a long, oak table in the split center of the room.

A clear, white tablecloth covered the farthest half of the table, where there was also gorgeous red cushioned sitting chairs. That half of the table pretty much screamed rich and fanciness, with a small vase of light purple flowers freshly blooming.

The other half of the table, though… Oh, boy.. There was many dents and scratches in the table’s wooden surface, ruining the image of a perfect table. The chairs looked hard and uncomfortable, with not one cushion. The back of the chair was small, and I just knew that if I was sitting in one of those chairs, it would certainly dig into my back painfully.

It was quite obvious that the uglier side of the table was meant for the prisoners, and the fancier side was meant for the capturers.

I knew that because three men were already seated in the chairs, all wearing full-on black suits and dress pants. Four of the fabulous chairs were left vacant.

The buff man’s body, who I had almost forgot was there, stood right in the way of the faces of two of the men.

I could see that one of them was the second disguised police officer, the one who had taken me out with a dart. He wasn’t as quite as buff as his partner, and he was wearing a black fedora, which almost made me laugh out loud.

Then, the buff man turned around towards Nathan and me. Now, I could clearly see the other two men, as well as Nathan.

The one sitting at the head of the table was looking directly at me, catching my eyesight almost immediately. His extremely dark, almost black, eyes watched me too carefully. I felt a shiver crawl up my spine.

Nathan, too, seemed to notice the glaring man. Suddenly, his already-rigid position froze, no longer carrying any more movements, including breathing.

He had just taken in the appearance of that man, and he was suddenly unfrozen. He took in deep breaths, and then, taking me by surprise, his strong, muscular arm snatched my waist, hooking me towards him.

He pressed my back into his chest tightly, as if I was his oxygen to breathe. I struggled away from him, glaring at him in mostly shock. But, as much as I chanted in my head, I didn’t want to struggle.

So I didn’t. I wasn’t getting anywhere anyways, so I simply sunk back into his arms, relaxing my body. His touch spread a soothing, warm feeling throughout my small body, sizzling across my humming nerves.