Staying strong

SOMEWHERE far, far away, there was a field, filled with the remains of a beautiful garden. The summer sun had once cast a golden glow on the lush green grass sprinkled with baby’s

breath and forget- me-nots.  Many years before, a couple, lost in love, built aquantcottage, and made it their home. They later had three sons, who spent their days frolicking in the field, playing with one another. Years passed and their mother became ill, fading away from this earth like a dandelion blowing away in the breeze. She seemed to take the sun with her, for if you or I where to go to this field after her death, we would see a sad cottage covered in vines, and a dry field covered in a cold silver moon. Aching for the golden glow of the warm sun it used to know, each shutter of wind on the field was like a dance of remembrance of the better days.  Her husband, left alone with his three sons, lived in misery without her. He had lost the joy in life, and he too began to fade away.

WHEN  he was almost completely gone, he asked his sons to come to his bedside, so he could give them words of parting, that they might remember them in times of need. In their Fathers small room, the three sons grasped their fathers hands, like a drowning man needing saving; they begged him not to leave them, his children, just as their mother had years before. However, he was too far gone to take heed of their pleas. He weakly opened his eyes, and looked at his three sons. With a shaking voice, he told them. “My sons, your mother passed and now I too must pass. You must promise me one thing. You must be there for each other. If you try to go your separate ways, each one of you will fall apart, for there is a great weakness and sadness alone. You must put your courage together and become strong.” Having used his last breath, he passed. A breeze blew through the room from the window, and it was as if his soul had just been carried to heaven.  His sons, exceedingly grieved, closed their fathers eyes, and began to dig a grave. The sky became dark, and a steady rain poured down on them, mixing with the tears on their faces. Thinking of their fathers words, they embraced each other and vowed to become strong; and they did.

Hey all! I had to write this for school, and I was really happy with the way it turned out so I thought I would upload it (:  This is inspired by the aesop fable The Bundle of Sticks, and I was supposed to right it in the style of Hans Christian Anderson. Please let me know what you think of it. I hope you enjoyed it 

Angie <3