Moratorium

Author's Note: So here is my final entry for the writing contest, genre being fanfiction. :) I hope you enjoy it, as it is a bit different from my other pieces.

-----------------------------------

Fighting back tears, Hermione strode along the halls, her head held high. Very few students looked her way as she passed on her way to the seventh floor corridor. “Rotten git,” she muttered as she came to a stop in front of the tapestry.

Her problems seemed to revolve around Ron a lot as of late. This time, it had been yet another argument between the two of them, spurred on by her jealousy of Lavender and Ron’s relationship, and only exacerbated by Ron’s insensitivity and stupidity. She huffed, her eyes stinging as she focused on what she needed.

I need somewhere to hide away for a while, she thought sadly. Somewhere where I don’t have to feel so unwanted, where I can ignore all of this, just for a little while. A door appeared in front of her, and she stepped in slowly. For a moment, she looked around, taking in the clutter around her. It was a place she could easily lose herself in for a few hours, which suited her just fine.

A sudden crash startled her as the door shut behind her and she moved further into the room, following the source of the noise. More banging around confirmed that she was not as alone as she would hope to be. She didn’t know anyone else knew of this room outside of her and a few of the Gryffindors to be quite honest, so she was very much surprised when she rounded a corner and spotted the last person she wanted to see.

Malfoy was standing with his back to her, clearly upset with something. In front of him was a weathered old cabinet. She didn’t focus on it, however, as Malfoy suddenly moved, picking up an old vase nearby and throwing it at the cabinet. Now, Hermione noticed the broken ceramic and glass littering the floor around him. He was very much angry about something, which was evident. Not wanting to be around him, especially when he was in a rage – after all, an angry Malfoy was a dangerous Malfoy – Hermione took a small step back. A crack rang out, and she winced, lifting her foot off the piece of glass she’d stepped on.

Malfoy froze and then whirled around. “Granger!” he spat. “What in Merlin’s name are you doing in here?” His brow furrowed even more. “How did you get in here?” He strode forward, prompting her to move even further backward. Her elbow knocked a miniature bust to the floor with a thud, startling them both.

“I-I was just looking to be alone for a while,” she stammered. “I didn’t know anyone was in here!”

“Get. Out.” His tone was deadly, barely containing his anger. “I don’t have the time nor the patience for the likes of you right now. You don’t belong in here anyways.”

“The likes of me?” She couldn’t help herself. Her own impatience began to rise, and she snapped back, “Don’t start your pureblood nonsense now, Malfoy. I have as much right to be here as you do.”

“Get out!” he shouted, ignoring her defensive anger. “Or I swear I’ll make you regret bothering me.”

Something in his tone sparked a bit of fear in her, and Hermione backed up once more. As he continued to move towards her, she found herself turning and walking quickly towards the door. “I get it, I’m leaving,” she retorted over her shoulder. Her hand reached for a handle…and found none. Confused, Hermione looked over the door, only to find there were no handles to be found, and no other way to open it.

Malfoy rounded the corner, his grey eyes burning with even more outrage. “What are you waiting for? Get out!”

“I can’t!” she yelled back. “There’s no way to open it!”