Chapter 1

<<<<<Chapter 1>>>>>

     Dale Finnamore jumped out of his orphanage bed. He looked around to see if he had awakened any of the others. Everything was silent so he continued toward the window. Peering out he could see the dismal town of Knowington glowing in the light of the moon. He cautiously opened the window panes and leaned his head out. The clean air was invigorating.

     With no freckles, Dales pale skin made him look like a ghost in the dim light. His mostly straight, dark brown hair made him look even lighter. 

     He took several steps back from the window, making sure not to step on a squeaky board. Pausing for a moment he looked around, then he began to walk towards the glass opening. His walking soon turned to running. Without a second thought, he jumped all the way through the second story window. 

     The first emotion he felt was fear, but it immediately turned to joy as he noticed that instead of falling down he was flying forward. The rush of air made him smile. This is what made the night so magical, the air. For an autumn night it was surprisingly warm, but the smell of adventure was all around. 

     Gliding along the lawn he reached out his hand and brushed the tips of the grass. They were wet with dew. He pulled up to avoid the oak tree, hearing the sound of frogs grow quieter as he flew upwards.   

     Higher he flew. Below him he could see the soft glow of candle light emulating from the town, while above, the soft white clouds beckoned him to go higher. He passed his first cloud, small in comparison to the ones he was still approaching. Nearby he could hear the honking of geese as they flew throughout the black sky, leaving the area before the first frost.

     Dale was in complete and utter bliss. The twinkling in his eye was brighter than the stars themselves. He stretched out his arms as if to embrace the moon but then immediately stopped as he heard something. It was the sound of a bell... He paused for a moment then started again towards the white clouds. 

     It rang again. The third time it rang he noticed a different sensation, the clouds above him were growing smaller and smaller. He was falling. It took him a few moments to realize that he was about to hit the ground. Turning his head away from the sky and downward he saw rooftops growing closer. He had barely enough time to scream before impact. 

     NO! He had gone so far. This was his moment. A type of freedom he had dreamed of and he wasn’t going to let gravity steal it away from him. 

     He felt a sharp pain in his body for half a moment, but it instantly abated.    

     “Dale, you’re still asleep?” he heard a voice say, “Come on, your going to miss role call.”  

     He rolled in his sheets for a moment processing what his roommate was saying. 

     “Morning role call?” questioned Dale groggily, “Morning role call! I’m late!” 

     Dale rolled out of bed, threw on a shirt and scrambled to put on his pants. Tumbling down the steps of the old wooden building, he jumped in line with the other boys and girls. 

     Sixteen orphans, including Dale, all lived in the small house. Standing next to him  was Kallin the talker. He wore a white button down shirt. Three of the buttons were missing, but he didn’t notice. Sarah was the bully. Rumor has it that the last family she lived with dumped her out on the street for back-talking. She wore dirty brown trousers with a shirt ripped at the sleeves.  She would usually pick on poor Thomas. Thomas was the quiet one, always keeping to himself, some days he would disappear for hours just watching nature in solitude. He was short compared to the others. Then there was Nash. He was the trouble maker.