Prologue

How could she leave me? I loved her so much. She left me for a man that will never treat her they way I treated her. I treated her like a queen. Then she left me like I was dirt, like I meant nothing to her.

I took a swig of the whiskey straight from the bottle.

"Valentine, can we talk?" she told me with hesitation in her voice. I paused the movie and turned to her on the leather sofa we were sitting on.

"Yeah, what is it, Aubrey?" I asked her with a smile. She was so beautiful her shiny, red hair and her bright blue eyes which seemed dim all day like she was thinking of something.

She grabbed a hair tie and put her hair in a bun and she exhaled loudly and grabbed my hand. She looked at me with worry and with a voice full of regret she says "I cheated on you for two years and I am leaving you for him." My smile fell and I stood up angrily.

"Are you kidding me?" I asked her in denial. She stood up and she said "No, I am not kidding. I am leaving your sorry ass."

She went up to our room that we once shared and I followed her. "But, why?" I screamed at her. "Why?!"

It all made sense now the bags she was packing this month and her going out late saying she had second shift and coming back at five in the morning.

She turned with the dress I bought her in her hand and threw it in my face. "Because I am tired of not having money and having to work two jobs just to make ends meet while you sit in our apartment unemployed and not looking for a job. You are a sorry excuse of a man." She says stomping her way to the drawer and grabbing shirts and jeans and throwing them in the suitcase.

"What do you mean?" I yelled back. "I got laid off and I can't find a proper job until I finish law school. You know this,  we talked about this." I walked up to her and turned her around. "You are not leaving me." She snatched her hand away from me and walked to her suitcase and zipped it up.

"Yes, I am and you can't stop me." She said hurriedly. She grabbed her sneakers and put them on.

"Give me one good reason why I should let you walk through this door and say goodbye to those five years." I told her standing in front of the room door.

She grabbed her jacket and suitcases and stood in front of me. "Because I am pregnant and the baby is not yours." I gape at her and she said. "Now will you excuse me my fiancee is waiting for me downstairs."

"Fiancee?" I say as a I walk with her to the front door. Once we reach the front door. She opened the door but before she walked out she told me. "Thank you for those five years it was the best time of my life and I am glad that you became apart of my life." I watched her walk through the door and she went into a BMW with tinted windows. I seen a man with a smirk on his face as she got in and kissed his lips. I slammed the door and just daydream for hours about what could have been.

Now, here I sat thinking of all the memories we created, going through the messages we exchanged, and the pictures. I went through her facebook and she posted a picture of her ring and her family commented "Congratulations." and "I'm so happy for you."

I threw my phone and went into my bedroom I ripped the sheets off of the bed threw the pictures down and I threw the mattress out of the window. I went in the closet and grabbed the dress she threw in my face. It was a birthday present. I grabbed the short red silky fabric and went to the fireplace I started a fire poured me a glass of whiskey on the rocks and I smelled the dress, it had her faint perfume and hairspray she always used.

I held the dress for a little while longer. I stood up and went to the fireplace. I drunk the rest of the whiskey and threw the dress in the fire. I put the drink down and watched it burn to smithereens and when it was gone I put the fire out and said. "Fuck you."

I went up to my room grabbed a blanket from the closet and I went to the living room and slept on the couch and let 'Friends' play in the background.

It was the best sleep I had since the last week she left me and I felt good.