The fundamentals chapter 2

As the fire came out of my hands the figure disappeared. Rosie and I stood there for a few seconds waiting for something else to happen but nothing did. "Do you think it's gone?" said Rosie real quietly. "I'm not quite sure." I answered back. We started to walk step by step slowly. The figure definitely disappeared, but I don't believe it was totally gone. "Maybe we should pack our things." I said. "Wait and leave." she said. "Yes Rosie, that was obviously a dark force." "We're supposed to protect the city though not flee." "Rosie I have a plan." I walked into the hut and started packing things into a backpack I had. "So what exactly is this plan of yours?" she said confused. "I'll explain it on the way just start packing." Rosie did as I said and went to her room and put her belongings in a bag. I packed clothes, my blanket, a pillow, and some food and water. Rosie picked up some wood from a little fireplace we made. "We might need it." she said. "Yeah, good thinking," The last thing she picked up was a picture of us with our mom and dad. That was the only thing we took from our mother and father that night. I wanted to start crying, but we had no time for me to have an emotional breakdown. "Alright lets go." I said. "Are we just going to walk through the woods?" Rosie asked. "Yes, I remember a shortcut I took once that would lead us out." "Ok cool." We started walking through the woods, looking at every corner while we took each step. Suddenly a gush of air came from behind us. We both spun around to find nothing. Once again the gust of air flew behind us. Rosie faced the opposite side of me, both our palms faced out. The figure finally appeared. We couldn't see its face for it was covered in a black coat.

Fire was starting to come out of my hand when it suddenly yelled "Wait, I"m not what you think I am!" "Then take off your coat." I demanded. By this time Rosie was turned around watching in silence. It did as I said and took off the coat. It was a man, and old man with gray hair. "Don't you recognize me?" he said. I just stared at him in silence. Rosie looked very confused, but then her face lit up. "Master Luke!" she screamed. She ran to him and hugged him. I then realized it was Master Luke! "Hello Rosie." he said laughing. "How are you Master Luke?" I said more excited then ever. "I'm very good Allie, how are you guys doing?

"We're good I guess." I said "I didn't mean to scare you guys yesterday and well right now." "It's fine." said Rosie. "I guess we should get back and unpack everything." I said. "Wow I thought you guys would know it's me from my powers. You know the invisibility and the speed." That explains the disappearances and the gust of wind. "Well lats just get back, we didn't come far at all." I said. When we got to the hut Master Luke told us about his life, powers, and studies. Master Luke was the person that helped Rosie and I control our elements. Even though our Mom and Dad didn't know we had powers Master Luke could tell. He saw Rosie practicing her ice powers by our house one day and since then he helped us. "How did you find us?" asked Rosie. "I knew that you guys ran somewhere deep in the woods. I watched you actually leading Rosie into the woods." he said to me. I guess he knew exactly what we were doing "So why are you here?" I asked. "Ah yes, I have some very very important news." That didn't sound so good. "You have to find the other fundamentals." "Fundamentals?" Rosie and I asked at the same time. "You don't know who the fundamentals are. You both a fundamentals you know." Rosie looked very puzzled, and I was confused on how we didn't know this. "It should talk about this in the book.

Rosie picked up the book on the table and looked through it. "I've read through that whole book, but I don't remember reading about that." I said "No not the elements book, the history book." "The what now?" I said very confused on what was going on. "The history book that talks about the elements and their history. It happens to also talk about the fundamentals." "I don't think you gave us that. I think you just gave us the elements one." I said. "Oh my bad. Well anyways people with elements are called the fundamentals." "Oh so Allie and I are fundamentals." "Yes and their are 3 others as you know." "Yes, so what about them?" I asked. "Well lets just say you need to find them." he said. "Wait we have no clue where they are though. They could be anywhere. Do you happen to know where they are?" "Calm down Allie, it's going to be ok." he said. I guess I was freaking out a bit. I mean how are we supposed to find these other fundamentals. "Does that mean we have to pack up again?" said Rosie. That was what she was thinking about! "You still have time until you should start looking for them. I think you should practice you powers more, both of you." "I've mastered mine though." "Oh did you congratulations Allie, but you should practice still." "What are we even practicing for?" I asked. So many things were going through my head. "Oh yes I should probably tell you that. The dark forces are coming way closer now. The problem is their more powerful than ever, and it's best if you have all of the fundamentals together." "We had a dream 2 years ago about this." I said annoyed. "Yes but they weren't as powerful as they have become now." I looked at Rosie. She looked like she just saw the dark forces she was so scared. "You ok child?" said Master Luke. "Huh, oh yeah I"m fine. I just need some time to comprehend this." "I know you guys can do it. Just practice and find the fundamentals." "How on earth do we find them though?" I asked starting to scream. "Once your powers are practiced and powerful enough, your powers will lead you to the right direction." I started to think he was trying to be funny, but it was after all Master Luke. The person who helped us control our elements. "When do we start?" I asked. "As soon as possible." Rosie and I looked at each other with puzzled looks. I guess we both have to process what just happened.

* * *

After Master Luke left Rosie and I started to walk outside to practice. Rosie was holding the book as tight as she could. Wrapping her arms around so tight like it would escape her if she let go. "Do you want to maybe open the book?" I asked. "Oh yeah, I guess." I could tell she was nervous. "Here I'll go first." I thought of what I should practice. Oh I know. As soon as I thought of what to do the fireballs were already out of my hands. One by one I set fireballs out into the sky. This was a cool trick I learned when we first arrived here. My fireballs stopped coming out and the one's in the sky evaporated. "I bet I could do better." said Rosie. "Yeah right." I said. Rosie suddenly shot out the Snow White ice from her hand and made the fractals of soft white snow. She then blast some snow onto my shirt which made me freezing cold. "Are you serious." I yelled. Rosie started laughing. "Not necessarily my idea of funny." I grunted back. "Oh come one lighten up." she said. Just moments ago Rosie was clothed in fear, but now she seems relaxed. I decided to let this one slide since she was more calm now. "What else can you do?" I asked. "Just watch me." she replied back cheerily. She walked over to a little puddle right by our hut. The water looked almost like it was calm and peaceful. It sounds ridiculous that I'm talking about a puddle that way, but it made me feel more calm. My thoughts were ruined though when Rosie turned it into pure ice. "Ok so you can turn water into ice, anyone could do that." "Um not exactly." she said. "Well I mean anyone that were to have ice powers." "I wasn't finished." she interrupted. She shattered the ice with one movement of her hand. It exploded into the air. Sharp cold pieces of ice in the air falling to the ground where I was. Out of terror of getting cut I melted them all by shooting a blaze of fire. "Sorry I wasn't exactly thinking." she said. "That's ok." I said. Soon after she started laughing. "What!" "Oh nothing. You just looked scared out of your mind." she said laughing some more. "Those broken pieces of ice happen to be very sharp." I snapped back. "Well yeah but they were tiny pieces you could've just moved." she said. I shot a blast of fire right next to where she was standing. "Allie are you serious." she screamed. "You could've just moved" I mimicked. "That was a big blast of fire." "At least I didn't direct it at you. Just remember I can do that whenever I want." "You're such a nice sister." she said. "Anyways I don't get what exactly we're supposed to practice. I feel ready." she said "You haven't even mastered your powers yet though." "Still." she said kind of annoyed. She really doesn't like when I mention that she hasn't mastered her element. "Where do we start?" she asked. "There's a whole city in front of our eyes here." "I don't know to be honest. I really don't want to trust what Master Luke is saying, but if it's him saying it it's the truth." I said. We both sat on the ground in silence for a few minutes just thinking. "I mean how long do we prepare and practice our elements?" she asked. I could tell her questions were starting to come out. "I don't know. From what he was saying it sounds like we have time to practice our elements to get them strong enough." "I'm going to take a nap." she said. "Rosie we just learned we have to practice out powers like crazy and you're taking a nap." I said but she was already inside. I was kind of tired myself, but my mind kept telling me to practice a little bit more. I got up and stood there for a few seconds just taking in the cool nice air. I started to make steam come out of my palm, but then I decided I just wanted to take a nap too. We did have time as Master Luke said. Tomorrow I'll practice. Practice for what's coming ahead