Chapter 2

Chapter Two

                Jade was lost. As the bells tolled her natural reaction was to go to her next session, which would have been at the library to study history and maps. Unsure of what actions to take Jade wandered the empty corridors and eventually found herself at the stables, where one of the stable masters was in the middle of teaching his three apprentices. They had a war horse tethered to a post, and he was showing them how to properly medicate and bandage the leg from a cut. Jade remained out of the way and listened as he taught his lesson.

                “Protectors will not always return to us if their horse has been wounded. But when the wound is too serious for them they bring the horse here to rest and heal. When the situation arises we must be prepared to tend to the animal and get it back onto its feet as quickly as possible. Next to a Guardian a horse is a Protectors greatest asset. These animals have been intensely trained for battle and are familiar with a Great Wolf’s presence which makes them even more valuable. We must also be ready to give them a replacement, choosing the correct animal is also something you must learn. Each horse has a different personality, as you work and learn you will come to know each horse and their character. With practice you will be able to correctly judge and match a horse to the rider.

                “Now this method of wrapping is good for just about any minor cut. If the horse has been sliced with a blade then the wound might need to be carefully sewn or cauterized. As you know if a horses wound is cauterized more likely than not that horse will be retired and will be used to help train young horses for future service.”

                One of the apprentices raised their hand. “Yes Harry?” The stable master paused.

                “Why must the horse be retired?”

                “Because cauterizing a wound is often a sloppy job preformed by a Protector out on the field when there was no other option available. The horse often comes back to us and can never again reach its full potential. It’s simply not worth taking the risk.” The stable master took a deep breath. “Everything we do here is to assist the Protectors and the Guardians. Without them our way of life would not exist, our lands do not have particularly rich soil, we do not have gold or mines, and we do not have big lands for grazing animals. We have Great Wolves and we have Protectors. Our revenue and trade comes from the kings and the nobles of whom our Protectors and Guardians serve. It has been that way for generations.

                “Yes Harry, a horse with a cauterized wound would serve a normal person find after it healed. But our Protectors are not normal, they are saving and protecting important people’s lives, and to do that to the best of their capabilities they must have an animal that is also performing its best.”

                The stable master went on to explain the correct way of bandaging a wound. “Excuse me.”

                Jade turned, a stable hand stood behind her. “Can I help you with something miss Dryden?” He asked. The horse insignia was embroidered over the chest of his tunic. He was still an apprentice, but the symbol meant he would move up soon.

                “Please, Jade is fine,” she said to him. “I need a horse and packs with food for lunch.” The stable hand nodded and began to turn. “Also, don’t give me just any horse.”

                The stable hand nodded, “I wouldn’t dream of it ma’am.”

                As the stable hand walked away into the stable Jade turned and continued to watch the apprentices as they each took their turn wrapping the horses pretend wound. These people looked up to Protectors as if they were more than human. But they aren’t. I would have been one of them but we’re all human. Why a person should be defined as better if they have a wolf at their side?