Chapter One - Montana

A cool breeze swept through long, curly, burnt red curls. Matilynn flicked back a few offending tendrils that blew in her face. Her hair still damp from her after run shower was drying slowly from its thickness. But she didn't dare blow dry it unless she wanted a frizzy mess beyond taming.

The swing she sat on swung lazily from her languid kicks. In mid-swing her phone started ringing 'Carry On Wayward Son'. Knowing only one person had that tone she sighed heavily.

"Well hello Dr. Phil, how are you today?"

"Sarcastic as ever Matilynn. Sounds like you're having a good day so far. Have a good run this morning?" replied a deep male voice.

"It was a good morning till now. And my run was good, till the last half mile when some idiot almost ran me over. Now my leg is killing me from the twist I did to it. And why are you calling me at 4am your time Deric?"

"Ice, heat and elevate. You know the drill. And you know why Matilynn...I'm worried about you. Especially today, because I know you've probably thought about today in a 1,000 different scenarios. And that's not helping you. Your sarcastic charm is always more prevalent when your stressed. I just wanted to call to make sure you were alright before you left to head out to see them."

Matilynn sighed into the phone, "it's sometimes scary how you know me so well. You're right of course when you say I've thought about how today could go too much. And I know the added stress isn't healthy, but I just can't help it. The military was drilled into my head. I can't just drop that training, that life in so little time Deric. It's not going to happen."

"I realize that Mati, but you're not in the military any more. It's been nearly two years, you've got to start changing some of your habits. Instead of taking care of a whole squad of men, you only have you now. Just you. And this over analysis is too much for you." replied Deric vehemently. Matilynn was about to reply back when a heavy hand was placed on her shoulder. Matilynn looked up a bit startled, only to see the penetrating gaze of the inn keeper's husband.

"Thanks Dr. Pace, I appreciate the phone call for letting me know. I'll take your words into consideration. Thanks again. Bye."

"Goodbye Matilynn." replied Deric as he hung up.

"Yes Mr. Travers? What can I help you with?" asked Matilynn.

"Nothing like that. Just the Mrs wanted me to get you and tell you breakfast is being served . She wanted you fed before you left today."

Marilyn smiled a small smile, "then I best go eat. Don't want to upset Mrs. Travers."

"No. No you don't." joked Mr. Travers. As Matilynn was led inside she decided to take Deric's advice and just to happen as it may. There's nothing she could do to alter it, so why worry herself sick. Especially when Mrs. Travers was cooking her a hearty breakfast.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Matilynn's customized Chevy Silverado was able to maneuver the rough back roads, trails or whatever they were as she grew father away from the city of Dansberry. Her GPS and verbal instructions from Mr. Travers were constantly being looked at and repeated to make sure she didn't get lost. It was going on two hours when Matilynn came up to a ranches gates.

'McKay Ranch'. Matilynn let out a shaky breath realizing she was in the right place. She drove down the long drive way noticing cattle in the fenced areas along the drive. As she dipped down a hill there stood a large sprawling timber ranch house. It was quite beautiful with the dark timber with contrasting white wraparound porch and shutters. The drive was was a large circle allowing to get to the barns on the left. Matilynn pulled in behind another large truck. Taking a few breaths in to try and calm her racing heart. Deciding she needed to get it done and over with she opened the door and slid out. Making sure she had her phone in her pocket and she looked alright, she walked towards the house.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Hey da, we expecting anybody today?" asked a man as he threw another bale of hay down from the barns loft.

"Huh?" questioned the older man from a stall farther in the barn. "Winnie, get your head outta my way gal!" a loud whinny was heard. "Go on girl, git. It's not time to get fed."

"Da. Some lady is walking up to the house. Should we go see who it is?" the man asked again. The older walked up to the lofts ladder.

"Do you recognize her Mark?"

"No da. That's why I asked if we were expecting anyone. Did ma call on someone?" asked Mark to his father.

"Caven and Mark McKay! Get up to this house, now!" shouted a woman's voice.

"Speaking of your ma. Let's go see what she wants." both Mark and Caven headed towards the house. When they reached the foyer the knocked their boots off on the mat before entering the house.

"Rosalie love, where are you?" Caven asked out loud hoping his wife could hear him.

"In the living room darling." choked Rosalie. Hearing his wife's distress he rushed towards the living room. Upon entering Caven seen his wife's tear stained face and shaking with silent sobs.

"Rose love talk talk to me what's wrong?" asked Caven as he knelt by his wife's side. Holding her hand and rubbing her arm in comfort he was about to ask again but Mark spoke up before he could.

"What did you say to my ma woman?" he growled. Caven turned around and he sucked in a gasp. There sitting in the chair across from his wife sat a woman with shocking red hair. He noticed her from a few pictures his son sent home from Iraq.

"Gunnery Sergeant DeHaven? Is that you?" Caven whispered still shocked at seeing Matilynn. Matilynn could only nod at seeing the now stunned faces of the McKay men and the still teary eyed Rosalie McKay.