Prologue

The wind is unfriendly that night. For him, everything, all elements of his life has become his enemies.  The wind is just one of them.   They do, when they take away the most important thing in your life. Suddenly.  Unexpectedly. His conscience tried to reason out. It was not unexpected nor it was sudden.  You know this time would come.

He flinched, yes he knew that this time would come. But knowing and being prepared for it are two different things.  A man may know that a thunderstorm is coming, but that does not mean he is going to be prepared for it, he countered to his conscience. He looked at the scenery below him. He has been staying on this hill for a couple of days already. He has witnessed how the sun rose to bear light to its kingdom and how it succumbed to the moon at night. For two days, he has battling conversations with his conscience.  It is driving him crazy.

Earlier that afternoon, a friend dropped by, carrying the line he has been hearing for the last few days.

“Why don’t you just go home,” she said.  “You need to rest.”

“I can’t,” he answered. “She might drop by while I’m away. Besides, I have food and clothes in the car. I have everything I need in the car.”

“She’s never coming back,” she stated.

He has heard those lines so many times, but he has become numb to it.  He shook his head and refused to answer.  The friend stayed for more than an hour, sharing his silence, watching as the houses below them started to turn on their lights.  When the wind became fierce and howling, she decided to let go of his hand and say goodbye.

He hugged his jacket closer to his body.  He stood up and retreated to his car.  Inside the parked vehicle, he could still see if anybody would be visiting that spot on the hill.  He would be able to see her immediately, if she decides to come back.

The whole night passed, quietly.  But he saw no shadow on that desolate hill.