* * *

Grudgingly, I made my way to the western part of the Crimson District. Rumor had it that Alexander regularly went to clubs there – whether for amusement or business, I hadn't managed to figure out so far. Every source I had consulted was more than scared shitless of the vampire. I didn't have much experience with vampires, and I had to know who I was dealing with. If I was to go into a vampire lair with the devil himself, I needed to know beforehand.

So I went to Joe's Pub, a small bar that was open to all races: humans, witches, shape shifters, and vampires. 'No discrimination' – that was Joe's business slogan. Although the bar was at the outskirts of the Crimson District, it was pretty full.

Biker gangs, heavy metal fanatics, and those who pretended to be, were crammed in the darker corners of the bar, while the rest of the people were trying to move to the hard rock music on the dance floor. It was a kaleidoscope of colors, bodies, and faces that knew no end and no limits.

I looked around. Two vampires in business suits chatting with a group of casually dressed men close to the entrance. Heavy-muscled shape shifters moving gracefully through the mass of bobbing heads. Business was good for Joe. Even all the billiard tables were occupied. Seemed like his slogan cut the mustard.

I spotted a familiar face at the bar and came to a sudden halt. I stood there, right in the middle of moving people, and stared at him in indecision. Asking the right questions in the wrong place could get you killed these days. However, the kind of information I needed wasn't cheap and I had no idea how else to get it.

I fisted my hands at my sides and went straight up to my new target.

"Hey Larry!" I slapped my hand on his back, as if I had known him for ages. "How's it going? You havin' a beer with me? Bartender! Hey! Could we have two beers, please? You like beer, don't you?"

Larry kept staring at me with big brown eyes – a rabbit caught in the headlights.

"Anna. Um, nice to see ya. I'm fine, thanks. Haven't seen ya since... uh ..."

"Since about three months after I let you get away with the blood selling?"

By coincidence I had caught Larry selling shape shifter blood, which was rumored to have a better taste than normal human blood. It was a rumor that made many vampires – especially the younger ones – eager to try it. Then there were the older ones who were powerful enough to rule over their own territory or coven. They kept shape shifters and – to the Circle's general dismay – half-witches that were relatively easy to catch and manipulate at their disposal. Apparently blood of our kind was the new Dom Pérignon for the undead. Of course the vamps would argue that the shape shifters and witches were doing the blood donations out of their own free will.

Yeah, and pigs fly.

Anyway, since I was not a member of the Force, I didn't rat Larry out. I merely threatened him into giving up on the blood-business. Now he was my eyes and ears in the activities of the supernatural underworld from time to time. Judging from his current expression he hadn't expected to hear from me soon again. I couldn't blame him. I hadn't contacted him for a few months. Maybe he didn't even know about my absence due to my job in Italy.

Once the two beer bottles were in front of us, I turned to face him.

"Larry, I need some info about a quite powerful vampire called Alexander."

His light brown eyes widened. It made him look even younger than he actually was – I would not have given him more than twenty-one. The brownish mess of locks didn't help his cause. Then again, I hadn't seen my twenty-fourth birthday yet. Who was I to talk?