Part 1: Living the Virtues

Living the spiritual virtues is to live from the Universal Consciousness and is appreciated in all the great spiritual traditions.

In the ancient Yoga Sutras, which are particularly known in Hinduism, Patanjali outlined the eight limbs of yoga. Before the student, who desires liberation, begins breath control or yoga asanas, s/he must first master the virtues listed as yama: asteya (non-stealing), ahimsa (non-injury), sattyam (truthfulness), brahmacharya (celibacy or chastity, according to one's way of life), aparigraha (freedom from desire); this is followed by the second limb, niyama, which refers to right conduct in society.

Mahatma Gandhi took the five aspects of yama and added six more as his eleven principles for ashram life, or for the spiritual seeker. The other six virtues he listed are: Sharirashtrama - Physical Labour or Bread Labour; Asvada - Control of Palate; Abhaya – Fearlessness; Sarva-Dharma-Samanatva- Equal Respect for all Religions; Swadeshi - Duty Towards the Neighbour, and Asprishyata - Navaran- Removal of Untouchability.

In Judaism, the Ten Commandments preach the path of right living.

In Buddhism, not only is detachment a value, but so too is the practice of compassion. The Noble Eightfold Path is a path to universal consciousness:

"There is a middle path, O Bhikkus...a path which bestows vision, which leads to peace of mind, to the higher wisdom, to awakening, to Nirvana. It is Right Views; Right Attitude of Mind, or Motive; Right Speech; Right Conduct; Right Means of Livelihood; Right Effort; Right Mind Control and Right Meditation or Serenity," preached Lord Buddha (Darmmacakka – ppavattana Sutta).

Christians aim to follow Lord Jesus whose teachings were of love: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind and all your strength, and love your neighbour as your self" – because when rooted in the Universal Consciousness, I can see that my brother/ sister is my Self. We are One.

The way to the Universal Consciousness is through spiritual practice – the inner practices of prayer, meditation, contemplation, study of scripture and then putting all that into action through living the spiritual virtues. I call these the "Big Five". In this booklet, we will consider some of the virtues, namely celibacy, forgiveness, patience and gratitude. The final part of the book will consist of reflections on Christ's teachings known as the Sermon on the Mount, including through reference to Indian saints, and connecting the teachings with current world events and right livelihood.