HASN'T GOT A CUE

SINCE LOSING HIS ARGUMENT OVER A GAME OF POOL HE ALWAYS WALKS A LITTLE ASKEW

What’s so funny about this? I confess that it took me a little while to get this joke, because I read it rather than heard it. It just goes to p...rove what I’ve been saying all along that context is everything and that written English and spoken English are two different dialects, especially when it comes to homonyms. In the photo we see a smarmy looking guy - what’s that? You don’t know the word “smarmy”? I agree with the Urban dictionary’s definition: A certain attitude often accompanied by a squinty look and a superior smile that makes you instantly hate a person. The guy in the picture definitely qualifies. So I am not at all surprised that he lost the argument. At the end of the joke we learn that he now walks a little askew, which means tilted, off-center. OK, so what if he does? I thought to myself as I first read the joke. My wife was sitting with me in the kitchen at the time so I read it to her and asked her what was so funny about the joke. She said two words “pool” “cue.” This is the long tapered wooden pole used to hit the balls into the holes. In the photo, the smarmy guy is using his cue to take his shot, that is, hit the balls. Some arguments are more violent than others and a pool cue could be a pretty nasty weapon in a fight. You could hit someone over the head with it, or worse, you could make use of its tapered shape and ram it up someone’s rectum, or ass. Alas, that’s what seems to have happened to the smarmy guy and why he now walks ass-cue, or askew. And THAT’s what’s so funny!

This joke came from my facebook buddy, Owen McMahon from New Zealand

(You can hear an audio of this post at audioboo.com)