Introduction

Millions of years ago the seas were at war. The sirens had risen up after their centuries of slumber. Everyone fought back against their dark forces. Until something big happened that would forever changing the lives of all sea folk. The sirens gained allies. The nix, lelealia, lobasta, and mavkas found truth in the evil sirens words. Together they took on the rest of the sea with nearly triple their original size.
Millions were dying annually and the leaders needed to put a stop to this giant killing spree. If it didn't stop there would be no one left in about 10 years.
So they made a decision. This new rebellion would be given their own pice of the sea, the deep sea. Anywhere beneath the lights view. Even though it wasn't an optimal location for many of them they accepted the offer.
They sunk down to the depths never to be seen again by the average merfolk.
From then on there were arguments over how the rest of them would split the rest of the sea. They were on the bridge of another war until a huge ship sunk near the meeting of the representatives. It may have been a tragedy for the humans, but it was the best thing that ever happened to the sea folk. Inside of the boat they found a map, a map with boarders and sections. There were five sections titled; Atlantic, Pacific, Arctic, Indian, and Antarctic.
The Arctic Mermaids took the icy waters of the Arctic and renamed it Imola. The Undines and Merrow chose what the land folk called 'Atlantic', and changed its name to Buaberon. The Nagas took the Indian Ocean but replaced its title with Prisetope. Dulever is the land of the Vilas, previously known as the Antarctic. The biggest section was given to the Bereginuas, Newts, Water Nymphs, and Melusines. They called their territory Azure. The name that later arose for the depths was Aicaya.
There it was, The division of the sea folk. It stayed that was for years upon centuries to come. The rules were that each category of merfolk belong in their own section of the ocean. The sirens and their followers were bound to Aicaya. The others were free to travel but could only live in their home land. The Azurians traveled the most due to their rulers being the most powerful out of all the oceans.
The current king of Azure was named King Merrick. He was a true man beloved by his people, but hated by the Aicaytes. It was a mutual relationship, Merrick hated the sirens just as his family had for centuries before him, but as long as they stayed below their line the king Merrick found to issues with them. The Aicaytes usually liked to disobey the kinds rulers and defy the boundaries. Which would lead the king to either banish them back to Aicaya or beach them above the water.
Years passed by and the newt king grew lonely. He was introduced to many fine ladies from Azure. He did not take a likening to them very much. One day he went into town and met a rarely seen Water Nymph. Her name was Nerissa. She was a commoner, but the king chose her hand over the others, and together they would run Azure fairly and diligently.
More years passed and something horrible happened. The Aicaytes kidnapped the kings nephew and killed him days later. They knew that he was next in line for the throne and without him the Azurian monarchy would fall. The Azurian kind went into a violent rage and which ended up with him kidnapping the Aicayte king's son, Ronan, who was an only child. The king wanted revenge for what the Aicaytes have done. King Merrick and Queen Nerissa had been unable to bear a child of their own even though they had been trying for years. So this Aicayte attack might as well been the end to Azure. If Azure would fall without a ruler the Aicaytes would surely rise up and claim the water for themselves. The king was about to avenge his nephew until his wife burst into the room and convinced Merrick to stop the execution. It wasn't needed, it would just cause another war and she had finally fallen pregnant with a child. The king was overjoyed and released the young siren prince as a pardon.
The feud over the kings nephew soon calmed down after a couple of months. The queen gave birth to a little girl named Nami. At first king Merrick was against the idea of a mermaid running Azure and that a newt could rule, but as he spent more time around Nami he changed his mind. He looked forward to Nami's coronation once she turned 20. The oceans were finally at peace, but the depths awaited the perfect day to strike back.

Bereginuas- good mermaids from Slavic mythology
Vilas- Serbian winged mermaids
Undines- water sprites (golden hair, green eyes)
Marrows- mixture of fairies and mermaids
Newts- male mermaids/ mermen
Arctic mermaids- mermaids who live in Arctic regions
Melusine- mermaid with two tails (like legs)
Naga- half human half serpent (serpent tail)
Water Nymph- female nature goddess that lives in the water
Nix- shape shifter
Lelealia- Half human half octopus
Siren- singing/luring mermaid
Lobasta- evil mermaid
Mavkas- luring mermaids (green hair)