1

He traced her spine with the pad of his thumb, feeling her move as she untied the laces of her shoes and sat them aside. When she sat up those ridges were no more than a subtle curve that traveled between her shoulder blades. "What are you doing?" She asked, glancing at him over her shoulder before going back to dabbling in her nightly routine. Calistor never understood why girls couldn't just get in the damn bed. It was always: do this, do that, before they actually settled down and slept. His mom was like that, his sister was like that, and luckily for him so was Piper.

The girl of the hour moved to stand up and Calistor pounced, catching her waist in the crook of his elbow and yanking her back onto the mattress. A squeal escaped her mouth that Calistor muffled with his own, listening as it disappeared somewhere in the space between them. "Cal!" Piper hissed while moving back, "What do you think you're doing?"

"Sedating you. You're moving around too much." The boy stated bluntly earning a scowl from Piper. She took her pillow and covered his face with it thus hiding his smug glare from her view.

"Well forbid I do anything to unsettle you." Quickly, she jumped back up and kicked her tennis shoes aside before sneaking into her bathroom. Calistor, not having heard her sneak away, flicked his wrist sassily and commented on her response,

"I know, you may just piss me off enough to make me leave you forever. Then where would you be in this lifetime?" He moved the pillow before realizing that Piper had gone, leaving him alone and chilly upon her baby blue sheets.

The air conditioner kicked on with a loud hum, bursting awake with a blast of cold air over Calistor's face. He sat up, pushing his hair back and walking to the bathroom door. Suddenly, the door opened presenting Piper in her night clothes illuminated by the soft glow of a nightlight. Calistor cupped her shoulders within his palms and smoothed his knuckles over her freckled skin. Something in her eyes caught his attention, and it wasn't their electric blue color either that drew him in like the first time they met.

"What is it?" She asked, brow wrinkling in confusion. Calistor simply shook his head to dismiss her and placed his forehead upon her shoulder and watched their reflections in the bathroom mirror. It was just him, with it being so close to a full moon humans were tempting treats to many demons. Fortunately for him, as a lower class demon the temptation wasn't as severe as it was for most others. Nevertheless, there was something tugging at his mind as he watched their reflections. Something that could probably explain the reason why Piper's freckles began to glow as soon as they touched. That something caused his head to ache and spin all at the same time.

"Cal?" Piper asked, resting her hand on the side of his face and bringing him to face her. For a brief moment their eyes met,

"You're glowing." He stated bluntly making her cheeks flush, taking her chin between his thumb and forefinger he added, "I mean that.." And then he pulled her to his chest to walk them both back towards her bed and settled between the warm sheets she picked out and he bought for her.

While she may have thought he was joking with her when he glanced in the mirror faint flecks of light were illuminating the darkness through her shirt. He pressed his hand against where he guessed those marks were now that they were laying down. Bioluminescence is a trait found in only one humanoid species, demons. Or better known as, imponere, a term that means imposter in Latin. 'Of course it would be humans which claim they are being copied' Calistor thought snidely to himself as he hummed the young girl beside him asleep.

An emancipation act was put into pace roughly three years ago to rid demons of all unethical practices. Many humans thought it nice to own exotic pets, demons being one of these. What most who purchased a demon child didn't know was that many have abilities that are considered unnatural to human physics and laws. Quite a few demon children have ended up abandoned on the streets because their owners hadn't known how to properly teach them of their abilities.