Eight

After unpacking what little things I had, I decided to visit dad to tell him about my new job and apartment. As I was unfamiliar with the area, I didn't know how to go to the hospital from my new place. The receptionist I asked gave me directions and even told me what bus routes will take me to my new office.

When I reached the hospital, I brought my father up to date about everything which happened that day. He chuckled at my expression as I described the apartment. Somehow, he wasn't as freaked out about it as I was.

The hours went by so fast I was reluctant to leave. My father insisted I should go and express my gratitude to my new boss personally. With that said, I kissed his forehead and went on my way. The ride back to my place had me thinking of tonight's event. I had a feeling he was going to be there. He was her brother after all.

Across my new apartment building, I saw Terry sitting on his motorcycle, looking like a runway model with his leather jacket and slicked back, gelled up dark hair. I half-ran towards him, trying to call his attention.

"Terry! You're here!" I exclaimed. I texted him the address before I left the hospital, but I didn't expect him to come so soon.

"I did tell you I was coming," he answered with a grin as he stepped away from his ride. "So, here I am. Now, show me your new crib."

I beamed as I gave him a quick hug, tugging his arm towards the entryway.

The opulent lobby immediately caught Terry's attention. He whistled in appreciation as I guided him towards the elevator. The receptionist looked at us with a strained smile, her eyes focused on Terry. I was bewildered by her reaction but decided to forget it as I was too excited about showing my new place to Terry.

After alighting the elevator, Terry whistled in awe when he saw the hallway. I snickered at his reaction and told him to keep walking. When I stopped in front of my apartment door, I took my sweet time opening it. Terry let out an exasperated sigh, which made me chuckle in amusement.

"Can we get on with it?" he asked irritably.

I laughed at his impatience and opened the door. He burst inside and scanned the room in appreciation. He was hyperventilating when he saw the entertainment set-up in the living room.

"Can I move in with you?" he asked as he caressed the television.

I laughed and slumped down on the couch. "Where is Andrew anyway? I thought you'd bring him along."

"He's held back by his job," he answered as he sat down beside me. He turned his attention around the room, his eyes wide with awe. "I can't believe this is one of the job perks. If I only knew..."

I lightly punched him in the arm. After a few seconds of silence, I stood up and looked at him.

"I'm afraid I have to cut your visit short today, Terry. I have to go somewhere this evening," I said grimly. He looked at me upon hearing my tone.

"Where to?" he asked, his voice filled with curiosity.

"A party," I answered, not wanting to add more details to it.

"What party?" he probed, raising his eyebrow.

I sighed unhappily and then gave him a look. "Ms. Maxwell invited me to a party tonight at their mansion," I admitted, letting out another sigh.

There was a moment of silence as Terry looked at me. "Are you for real?" he asked, stunned.

I nodded. There was another silence before he whistled in admiration. "Wow! I can't believe how quickly you made it to the top with the A-listers," he said with a snicker, his eye twinkling in amusement.