How to Get out of Depression (body, mind, soul)

CHAPTER 1  Free Pass

DEPRESSION IS AN ULGY WORD THAT HITS HOME FOR SO MANY.

So you haven’t gotten dressed in how many days now? Let me guess your family and friends thought three days is enough time to snap out of it, except you still feel this pain and suffering could last forever.  Well, it just might if you allow yourself to stay inside the dark deep black hole.

What makes me an expert on depression when I am not a psychiatrist or therapist, and when my degrees are in the marketing, business communications, and real estate?  My qualifications come from nothing than the recognition and realization that, like many, I’m not a stranger to depression. It has come and gone throughout my life as long as I can remember.  What has also come and gone throughout my lifetime are the reasons why I have been depressed. The thing with depression is it doesn’t go away, at least not indefinitely. The reasons why you’re depressed today may not be the same reason that has plagued me, but I still understand and feel your pain. I know that I’m tired of finding myself here in this same spot day in and day out. I know that I’m never wholly rid of depression finding me again, and perhaps this is how you feel about your life. Depression is always lurking around the corner. I like to treat my depression like a dieter treats food allowing one day a week to pig out so to speak.  I started adopting the same philosophy allowing myself one day a month to roll around in the stinky thoughts accompanied by sad feelings.  This is your 24 FREE PASS.

Everyone’s survival kit will vary, but here is what I like when I want to give out the biggest cry-fest, and make a day of it.  We must always strive to have balance with our body, mind, and soul which means all three need to be feed daily, even during our tantrums.  When I take my unique pity party day, I feed my body, mind, and soul with a little comfort food, a movie I can connect with that will offer the best emotional release for me to boohoo it up with gusto and might. I’m serious, but then again, I will scream inside of a pillow. I know it sounds ludicrous for a grown woman of two adult children to say that she screams inside of a pillow, but she does. What you’ll find in this book is the honest truth.  I do scream like this, and oh what a release it is. If someone won’t think you’re being hit over the head by an intruder, or something then I highly recommend it.  Remember, you only have twenty-four hours so make the best of it, and if you need to borrow my childhood method, and watch yourself boohooing it up in the mirror, then you have my permission to do so.  Make sure you have your survival kit on hand because you’ll want to make it out of this mess, and into a happier state of mind. Try to use your free pass day when you have the house to yourself, providing that you’re not suicidal. If you are truly this low, and I’ve been there myself then reach out to someone. Trust me honey it’s not been acted upon, but the thought has entered my mind. If you’re feeling suicidal then STOP and call someone. NOW!

If you’re not feeling suicidal, then continue to read on for some therapy that has been working for me over a year now, which I find monumental and believe it is my duty to share it with someone else who suffers from depression.

24 hour Free Pass: The Depression Pit

PIZZA   +   Salad   +    Chocolate  +    Wine = Pampering

TISSUES + Sad Sappy Movie = Release

This approval to get a free pass now and again is simply this it’s to be cashed in like the get out of free jail card in Monopoly now and again. You’ll receive one Free Pass a month to let yourself sit in the pit with no judgment whatsoever.  I do this because with time you won’t need to cash it in if you daily work at being evenly balanced in all aspects of life. I believe in order to experience complete happiness, joy, and contentment in one’s life that body, mind, and soul must be in harmony.  When depression sets in one or all of these aspects within our lives is out OF Wack. This book is designed to be short and to the point. After all, you’re depressed, and that is why you’re currently sitting in the depression pit needing a real solution.

Chinese Medicine believe sensitive people carry stress in the kidneys. Be sure to drink detox teas to cleanse the kidneys.

Recently, I surveyed ten or so people how they keep from letting depression get the best of them, and what I loved about this survey is there is no right or wrong answer. The answer is whatever works for you, as long as it’s not damaging to anyone else or yourself. I guess I throw that disclaimer out there because if a serial killer finds joy in this keeping him from depression than I believe there is a more serious issue than depression, and I recognize that if you were drawn to this book, than your smart enough to know the difference.  Here are some of the ways the people surveyed stay out of the depression pit.

SINGING OFF KEY KEEPS THE MONSTERS AT BAY……….

DANCING THE BLUES AWAY………

WRITING THE WORDS TO SAY………..

COOKING IS THE BEST WAY TO PLAY…….

HELPING OTHERS BRIGHTENS THEIR DAY…..

The remedy that you choose to console yourself might be different from mine.  If you are male and reading this book, then I still recommend allowing yourself to cry. Crying is a natural release that is often bottled up in many men. Do not be ashamed for allowing yourself enough freedom to let the tears flow. You’ll be a better man for it.  For most women, crying comes naturally to us for many reasons happy and sad. I allow myself to cry to my favorite sappy movie giving me the emotional release that I need. Perhaps, you don’t need a movie to cry. Perhaps, you can read a book or sit and watch the birds chirp.  For me, I often find myself picking a sad movie to help with the tension and emotional release that I need. I often find myself needing a power nap from all of the crying after the movie is over and my belly is full of stuffing my face full of comfort foods. Did you know that a legitimate cry is an incredible release of stress and tension?

BODY MIND SOUL

When I wake up from my little power or cat nap I am ready to move from the muck and the Meijer to the healing process, and burn some energy. One of my favorite things to do after a genuine cry is to go to the forest preserve near my house, but I live in the country, so this is extremely easy for me to do. I love to walk on the nature trails. This is a slice of heaven, and I always come back and different person after my walk. Even though I know how much the walk improves my thoughts and overall physical wellbeing, I am not always ready to go for this walk when I need it the most.  Sometimes, I seriously need to let out the cry first.

While I’m out walking I spend the first half of my walk talking to the creator. Telling the creator my woes, my concerns, and my fears. Talking to the creator is praying.  What I do during the walk back is try to be silent and let the creator speak to me. Listening can be difficult for me to do, but I must.

EXERCISE:

Write out 10 reasons to be thankful to be alive.

Here are mine:

1.     The creator for helping US!

2.     The moon

3.     Love

4.     My sons

5.     The sun

6.     My husband

7.     This book

8.     My garden

9.      YOU

10.     Life

Check out the rest of the book for only $2.99 on Amazon  http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007WT1J5M

Join The Ledge on Facebook for those who suffer from depression and want to learn to live joyously.