The Star of a King

His body jolted awake and he reached his hand out desperately, only to grasp nothing. He had had the same dream again. It had been seven years since Hae Soo had died, yet every single day was just another excruciating memory that he forced himself to repeat. It was the only way he could bear with living. Without Hae Soo there was nothing. When Hae Soo had left, she had taken all the color in his world with her. His world was nothing but a gradient of black and white. Without Hae Soo he was nothing.

He sat up weakly and outstretched his shaky hand to reach for the teapot that lay on the table. He missed and the teapot went crashing onto the ground, exploding into dagger-like shards. He sat motionless, staring blankly at the mess on the floor.

After what seemed like an eternity, the doors opened and several servants rushed in, their heads bowed in fear. Their shoulders relaxed as they realized the king was not angry; that it had simply been a slip of his hand. Wang So was never angry anymore—just tired and sad. His sadness no longer held blame nor resentment, no longer had the capacity to hold anything but his love for Hae Soo. That was the only thing that refused to dwindle.

Moments later the servants left, only leaving him once again in the silence that was ingrained in his bones. He no longer had anyone by his side. Ji Mong, whom he had trusted would stay by his side to the last of his days had left ages ago. Baek Ah, the one prince whom he had truly thought of as a brother, refused to support him anymore—he simply couldn't bear it. Hae Soo, the girl who had seen him for who he truly was, and the one who had loved him regardless of all of his flaws, had left... just yesterday. The wound in his heart was still fresh, unable to mend.

And just like that, one by one, everyone left with the passing wind.

He chuckled softly and lie down on his bed, his hand trembling as it traced the skeleton of his scar. He knew his time was coming soon, and he was completely at peace with it. Welcomed it, actually. Maybe then he could see Soo. Maybe then he could finally be happy. Surely the afterlife was better than the living hell that was the palace.

The star of a king... What a sad star.

And then he closed both of his eyes and fell into an eternal sleep.

Life is fleeting.

--

Life had continued to go on for Go Ha Jin. Every day was back to being a routine; she would spend her day conversing with customers about skincare and makeup products. It was the one of the few things she could immerse herself in, to keep herself at bay. From slipping into the abyss of sadness.

And every morning she would wake up crying. The only way she could go back was through her dreams. The only way she could relive everything. But there were parts she didn't want to relive, parts of her memories that she wished could go up in flames. But one thing stayed the same for the past three years after she had awoken from her coma—the undying longing she had for Wang So.

Some nights she wouldn't let herself fall asleep—sometimes it became too much for her. Sometimes the images were too vivid, too real. As if nothing but a fleeting hour had passed since she had last seen him. Those nights were the nights she spent at the library, reading about Goryeo. Everything was more simplified—at times even mundane—on paper; some pages were even filled with fallacies. The 10th prince, Wang Eun, had not been diagnosed with a severe case of hair loss. She let out a small laugh and continued to flip through the pages, fighting the tears that threatened to fall down her cheeks once again. Everything hurt, everything yet another raw cut into an already existing wound.

--

The skies were a sorrowful, depressing shade of gray. It was pouring as if the heavens themselves were the first to mourn the passing of a good king. He had been a good king. The 4th prince, who was once known for the vast bloodshed that ensued whenever he rashly drew his sword, who was once known for his repulsive scar, who was once treated as nothing but a lowly, pitiful animal, had been a good king. A king that bettered, healed the country. A king that was respected by his people. A king that his people loved.

A king that would have made Hae Soo proud.

Then the night kissed day farewell, flooding light with darkness, and the moon began to cast its scarlet stained shadow.

--

After getting home from a long day at work, Ha Jin opened the door to her balcony and stepped out, the cold breeze gingerly brushing against her soft skin. The night sky stretched out above her, sparkling with hundreds of crystallized tears. Tonight, one seemed to shine brighter than the others. She pursed her lips and smiled briefly as she leaned against the railing, taking in the enthralling view.

"Having the star of a king means nothing to me. I don't need the throne, as long as I can be with you."

She smiled as her eyes stung with tears.

"But you became King. A very good one at that," she spoke softly, "You did a very good job, your majesty."