Murder Right

I sipped my coffee and ran my eyes over the newspaper. There was nothing particularly interesting – some farmer had won lotto, a big storm was due to hit Christchurch, and the mayor was at it again. Different aide this time. Probably set him up.

I turned the pages lazily, barely taking in the details. Anything important would jump out at me, but there seldom was.

Bored, I shifted to the back and attacked the Sudoku puzzles, then the crossword. As usual, I failed both. The attempt was all that counted.

I drained the last of the coffee and checked the time. Twenty minutes. The least I could do was prepare some breakfast for her.

It didn't require much imagination – bacon and eggs would suit most people. I set the frying pans, added a dash of water to the eggs, covered them and left them to cook. It was quiet – still early. Too quiet.

I fetched my phone and tapped the app. It circled and cleared, a selection of playlists enticing. I chose jazz and placed the phone on the counter, music streaming gently through the overhead speakers. I turned the bacon, threw some bread into the toaster and set the table.

The door opened.

"Ooh, is this for me?"

I smiled and walked over, kissing her cheek. "As usual. How was the night shift?"

"Shifty. Here's the post."

She grabbed the paper and slumped into her chair, her hair collapsing around her shoulders. I returned to the kitchen. The eggs landed on her plate, the bacon shared between us, toast on hers, bread on mine, sweet chilli for both. Orange juice from the fridge.

I manoeuvred everything over to the table and sat down opposite her, looking through the post.

"Poor Lenny. He’s been set up by some journalist. A fake affair."

"No surprise there."

Three bills, an offer to win a million dollars, something for her, an official document and a letter from my sister. I still can't fathom why she insists on sending letters.

I browsed the letter, smiling, then passed it over to her with the other envelope. She crunched into the bacon and toast, her nose buried in the paper. She'd finish and head to bed for a few hours. I'd probably sneak up and watch her later; she was beautiful but snored like a crashing train. It made me smile.

I ignored the bills and spam and opened the document, considering my day ahead. I'd go for a walk along the beach, then return and choose a project. That one from User Canonical32 seemed interesting.

My brain caught up with my eyes. My mouth fell open.

"Oh no, and there's been a terrible derailment in India! 179 people dead, 53 injured...Are you ok?"

I looked up at her, my eyes wide, the document shaking in my hands.

"I've been approved."

She froze, understanding drenching her face. She exploded around the table.

"Oh, darling!”

She hugged me tight, warmth spreading through me.

“I'm so happy for you!"

I smiled and returned the hug, a huge weight lifting off my shoulders. I could feel the last three years draining out of me. Finally, my life could start again.

"Oh that's brilliant. Oh baby..." she kissed me, yawning against my mouth. I laughed.

"I think you should go sleep."