Poisoned

just so you know, i wrote this in 2013 which is a year ago from now and i still can't believe i wrote this to my english teacher as homework lolol we were supposed to make a modern fairytale and thus this was created by yours truly 

- - - - - - - - - -

          Cinderella hated her new stepsister, Rapunzel.

          Although her name was Rapunzel, she preferred to be called Lyca. Cinderella hated everything about her—her stunning looks to her extremely nice personality and attitude. Lyca wasn’t oblivious to this. In fact, she noticed it. She wasn’t happy at all, but what could she do? What was done was done. There was no going back. All she had was an uncaring mother, a stepsister who hated her, and her long blonde hair that could heal people when she sang. Of course, Cinderella was very jealous of Lyca’s hair that could heal, because all she had was a fairy godmother.

           One day, when Cinderella had enough of her friends wanting to meet and make friends with Lyca, she wished for her to disappear. Her fairy godmother was astonished to hear those words leave Cinderella’s mouth because even she, herself, liked Lyca. She couldn’t do that to her. Lyca wasn’t even doing anything wrong! Eventually, she rejected her wish. As a result, Cinderella was furious.

          “Fine, I’ll do it myself,” Cinderella stated quietly to herself, not wanting her fairy godmother to know her plan.

          That night, she planned to kill Lyca for once and for all, but how? She went to the evil witch, of course. She drove towards and through the forest. She’d never thought that she’d ever see the evil witch, but desperate times call for desperate measure, right?

          Seven dwarves were guarding the door of the witch’s castle. Since Cinderella was well known in the fairytale kingdom, the dwarves let her enter without a word. However, they were quite surprised to see a princess from uptown driving a car to downtown—where all the downworlders lived in.

          “What are you doing here? You’re a princess from Uptown, Cinderella. I’m quite surprised to see you here,” said the witch, who was also known as the Queen of Downtown. Amy was her name.

          “I’ve come here to ask for a favor,” Cinderella replied with ease. Unlike most other princesses, she wasn’t scared of Amy, the Witch Queen. She was brave.

          Amy raised her eyebrows in surprise. “A favor, you say?”

          Cinderella nodded, and told her, “Yes. I want you to kill Lyca.”

          Amy laughed mockingly at Cinderella. “Why don’t you ask that fairy godmother of yours to kill this Lyca girl?”

          “Her name’s actually Rapunzel,” Cinderella said, annoyed at the fact that Amy laughed at her. “And my fairy godmother doesn’t want to kill her. Apparently, she’s too good to do it. That’s why I’m why here. I need something to kill her.”

          Then, Amy asked one of the dwarves to fetch a weapon for Cinderella to use. As soon as the dwarf came back with a weapon, Cinderella hastily grabbed it. Then, she realized it was an apple. Her eager face expression fell, and was soon replaced with an irritated one.

          “An apple? You’re giving me an apple to kill Lyca?” Cinderella questioned in frustration. “This isn’t the eighties, Amy. We’re in 2013. Gosh, I never knew you were that old.”

          Amy shot her a look of warning and anger, and sternly responded, “This apple has poison in it. You kill Lyca with this poisoned apple, and no one will know you did it.”

          Cinderella then got it. She couldn’t use a gun, or a knife. She’d have trouble hiding the evidence. Unlike with the apple, she could just throw it away, or even burn it. She had to admit, she didn’t expect Amy to be that smart.

          Finally, Cinderella brought the poisoned apple back home in Uptown. It was placed inside a plastic lunch box. She couldn’t wait for Lyca to take a bite. Basically, she couldn’t wait for Lyca’s death.

          The next morning, Cinderella immediately rushed to Lyca’s room with a tray. In that tray were two identical apples. One was poisoned, while the other one wasn’t. Lyca was more than surprised to see Cinderella in her room, because Cinderella never went into her room, let alone talk to her. Nonetheless, Lyca was happy. She thought Cinderella was there to make up for being so harsh towards her. Little did she know, she was about to be poisoned.

          Cinderella faked a sweet personality, and told Lyca to pick an apple. By some miracle to Cinderella, Lyca picked the apple she thought was poisoned. Then, Cinderella set the tray down and grabbed the apple that was left. Together, they took a bite. Cinderella watched in anticipation as Lyca swallowed the small bits down her throat. Nothing happened. Cinderella was enraged. She was just about to strangle Lyca to death, until she felt a burning feeling in her throat. She tried to speak, but she couldn’t. Then, she realized what was happening to her.

          She was poisoned.

          Cinderella collapsed onto the floor with a loud thud, and gasped for air. Suddenly, she stopped breathing. Lyca was beyond confused, and she was crying. She was screaming for help, but no one heard her. Lyca knelt down, and tried to wake Cinderella up. She thought she was just acting, but Cinderella wasn’t. She mistakenly ate the wrong apple. She forgot which apple was poisoned, and which wasn’t.

          Then, she remembered that her hair could heal. She hurriedly wrapped her hair around Cinderella’s pale and cold body, and started to sing, but it wasn’t working. She continued to cry, and cry. Suddenly, by some miracle, she felt something shift. She looked down to Cinderella again, and noticed that she was gradually breathing.

          “Am I dead?” questioned Cinderella, who was glancing around frantically.

          Lyca couldn’t believe her eyes, and then she laughed. “No, you’re alive.”

          Cinderella blinked, and realized that she was actually alive, and that Lyca had saved her. She couldn’t believe that her stepsister saved her. All hatred for her started to vanish. She no longer hated her. She quickly hugged her tightly, and whispered, “Thank you, sister.”

          Lyca laughed again, and let go. She joked, “Do you want to eat another apple?”

          Happily, they both ate another apple. Not a poisoned one, of course. Who would do such a silly mistake again?