Best Friend Turned Lover

There’s this guy, my childhood friend, my best friend. His name’s Aaron. He was my knight-in-shining-armor. He was always there when Jack bullies me back in pre-school. He was also my personal hankie. He’s always there to wipe away my tears. He was my guardian angel. He was also like a tail, wherever I am, he’s there. We were so close with each other, but when we were in junior high, everything changed.

                I had this huge crush with Aaron’s older brother, Noah. He plays soccer. He’s so popular in school. He’s so different from Aaron. Aaron’s smart, quiet, not that athletic either. He doesn’t even go out with girls as much as Noah does. But he, he is handsome, kind, respectful, much like every girls’ ideal guy. Unfortunately, for me, he wasn’t. I love his brother and he knows that.

                Aaron, as my best friend and as the brother of the guy I love, made a big effort for Noah to like me. He would set a date for the two of us. It made me so happy, and I know that he was happy too. Weeks before the prom, Noah asked me to be his date. I know it was Aaron’s plan. I wonder if who will he go with. But during the prom, Aaron didn’t go. Noah said he was sick and I was so worried. In the middle of night, I went to their house to check on him, and I found out, he was all well. Days after that, me and Noah would always hang out. I tried taking him to places, I and Aaron usually go, but he doesn’t like it. I would try to serve him the foods I and Aaron likes, but he doesn’t like it too. I would go, where he would take. Usually, we would go clubbing with the soccer team and girls from the cheering squad. And sometimes, I feel that I don’t fit in. Since the day I started going out with Noah, me and Aaron never talked like before. Every time I would ask him out, he would say he’s busy. Until such time, Noah got me to be his girlfriend.

                After graduation, I heard a shocking news from Noah. He said Aaron will be leaving to London to study Law. He never dreamed of being a lawyer. He wanted to be an architect, we wanted to be architects. I tried asking him why, but he never gave me a single answer. Weeks after, he left without a single goodbye. I wondered what I did wrong. We were like chewing gums when we were little, we always stick together, but he suddenly left.

                Now, it’s been five years. I haven’t heard anything from him.

                I was at the garden together with Noah’s parents when the maid said someone’s looking for us. When the man reached us at the garden, I was surprised to see who it was.

                “Aaron! Son, you’re finally here.” His dad greeted him with a hug.

                “Oh, I missed you sweetie.” His mom added.

                “I missed you guys too.” He replied.

                “How’d you been? Did you pass the board?” Noah asked. Aaron nodded, then he looked at me, straight in the eyes. He was as handsome as he was before. I managed to smile.

                “Oh! This will be the first time you’ll meet you’re nephew.” Noah said. And called out Jack.

                Aaron looked at me, shocked and confused then turned to Noah. “How old is he?”

                “Two years old, turning three next week.” Noah replied.

                “Okay, enough with that. Let him rest. I know Aaron’s tired.” His mom said. Aaron nodded and went up to his room. I followed him.

                “Aaron.”

                He turned to me and said, “Yes Yanna? Oh, and it’s good to see you again.”

                “Yanna? Yannie’s better.” I said

                “Yannie was when we were little and were not kids anymore.”

                “So what? I liked it that way.”

                “I’m tired Yanna. I’m going to bed.” He said and turned his back on me. Tears fell from my eyes.

                “I missed you. What happened Aaron? What happened to us? Why… do I have a feeling… that… that you are avoiding me?” I asked.

                “I’m tired. Leave me.”

                “I want to know!” I exclaimed. He turned and said, “Yes! Yes I’m avoiding you because you are my brother’s girlfriend and I… I am madly… deeply in love with you.”

                “What? Aaron… that’s why never talked to me, that’s why you took up law?”

                “I want you to be happy. So I did everything to help you get Noah. I went to London to avoid you. To try to forget you. But all these years, it’s still you all along. I gave up our friendship, I gave up my family, I gave up my dream and I gave up on love. I... I came back to hopefully try to work things out. But I am too late.”

                “Why didn’t you tell?”

                “Why? If I had told you, will it change anything? You’re so in love with Noah that you’ve totally forgotten ‘bout me.”

                “You’re wrong! I… I was finding you all along. You were always on my mind. You were always in my heart.”

                “But I was too late Yanna. So why are you still telling me these?””

                “What are you talking about?” I asked curiously.

                “You and Noah already have a child.”

                I wiped my tears and smiled. “No Aaron. We broke up two years ago. Jack’s my cousin Mari and Noah’s son, not mine.”

                “What? You mean, I… I’m not too late.” He asked

                “No you’re not because all these time, I was waiting for you to come back.”