Hope (New Version)

Prologue:

     I let out a long, strangled cough, old dust filling my lungs. Something felt wrong, my mind was fuzzy. I sifted my position, trying to force my eyes open. They slowly peeled open, I looked around, my vision blurry.

     Once my vision finally focused, I bit my lip from screaming out in surprise. Dark walls surrounded me, with a hard wooden floor, a small staircase in the corner, and spiderwebs everywhere else. 

      My breathing increased, as I tried to remember what had happened. My mind was racing like crazy, as the memories slowly came back.

     It had been one of those days where everything goes wrong. I was pissed off, because the school's 'popular queen,' Ashley was giving me a hard time like aways. This time she had pulled up my shirt in the hallway, exposing my chest to everyone that was passing by. The reason of this, was she had convinced herself that I stuffed my bra, which is completely untrue. Yet, she wouldn't believe that, and had to prove it for herself.

     After all that embarrassment, the last place I wanted to be was home. Julia, my best friend, was the same way that day. Her parents had been fighting nonstop, and she couldn't take it anymore. So, we finally agreed to go for a long walk, far away from our homes. 

     Julia's short blond hair was falling into her face, as tears rolled down her bright cheeks. The fighting had gotten worse over the days, and today you could literally hear her parents all the way down the block. 

     "It's going to be okay."  I told her, running a hand through my long, wavy, brown hair. I was feeling guilty because when I was leaving my house to go on the walk, my younger sister, Lily, who is barely four years old, decided she wanted to come. I had to tell her no, since I wasn't in the mood to be a babysitter. So, she started to throw a fit, waterworks and everything, she even tried clinging to my leg, until my mom pried her off, and I quickly left.

     "It's not going to be okay!" Julia yelled, new tears falling down her face. "I just want it to end already."

     "Julia, don't say that. This is just one of life's challenges, don't loose to it." We turned around the corner, coming to a part of town where there were hardly any houses.

     "But.. it's so hard, Anna.."  She sobbed, her blue eyes shining. 

     There was a loud sound, and I glanced behind me, where a dark colored car was pulling up along the side of the road. I just shook my head, and turned back around. 'It must be stopping at a house...' I thought.

     "I know it's hard, Jules. Life is hard, but that doesn't mean you give up on every hard challenge that comes at you." I smiled at her. "Please believe me, I kn-"

     Just then, something wrapped around my waist, pulling me back with such force that I stumbled against the hard thing. 

     I swung my head around, and a large man stood right at my back. He had dark brown hair, with eyes that looked black. He held something in his hand, but I couldn't tell what. He brought his arm forward, circling my waist. 

     I could hear Julia screaming behind me, as I slowly processed what was happening. I twisted my body in his hands, trying to fight his strong grip. He let out a deep chuckle of amusement, just as I slammed my foot against his "manly parts." He let out a small yelp, before his grip loosened. 

     I started forward, yelling at Julia to run, but she stayed frozen in one spot. As I ran, my foot caught on a rock, causing me to fall forward onto the ground.

    I cried out in pain, as the man grabbed my wrist, his face twisted in a sneer. "You're a little fighter, aren't you?" He growled.

    I pulled back, and he slammed me back down. Taking his arm back, I realized what he held in his hand. It was a small syringe, filled with a clear liquid. I stared at it, trying to loosen his grip on my wrist, but it was too late. He brought down his hand in one quick motion, the syringe plunging into my leg.

     I let out a small scream, as I felt the liquid spread through my leg. The man grinned, moving away from me.

     "Not so tough now, are you?" He laughed, turning and walking to where Julia stood, still frozen in fear.

     Julia slowly started to back away, but the man just got closer. I tried to stand up, knowing I couldn't let her get hurt, but my legs felt like jello, small dots blurring my eyesight. I watched in horror as the man pinned Julia to the ground. He pulled out another syringe from his pocket, aiming it perfectly at her arm. 

     Just then, blackness consumed me, the last thing I heard was Julia screaming.

     I jumped. How could I forget Julia? I scanned the room, and spotted a thin form laying on the opposite side of the room. 

     "Julia!" I whispered loudly. "Julia, please wake up.. Please." 

     She stirred, her eyes fluttering open. Sitting up, she looked around the room, realization flashing across her face.

     "Anna..." She whispered, her voice weak. "What do we.. do?"

     "Get out of here?" I stood up, using all my strength not to collapse, since my legs weren't strong. Hesitantly, I took a couple steps forward, then a couple more. All of a sudden, I felt a tight tug at my ankle. Looking down, I saw a metal cuff around it, and attached to that was a chain leading to the wall. Glancing at Julia, I noticed she had one too.

     He chained us up, just wonderful.

     "What now?" Julia asked, noticing the chains too.

     "I don't know..." I said, yanking at the metal chain, willing it to break. 

     "But we have to get out of here..." She cried, tears filling her eyes. "We have to."

     "I know." I sat down, accepting the fact that the chain wouldn't budge. "Calm down, we'll be fine." 

     Just as I said that, there was a click of a lock, and the door opened. The man who had grabbed up earlier, walked the down the stairs, his combat boots thumping as he walked.

     "Finally wake up?" He grinned, walking towards me. "You're the little tough one, aren't you?" He ran his hand across my cheek, and I jerked away.

     He just laughed.

     "Why do you want us?" I folded my arms across my chest, trying to say that I wasn't scared.

     "Just to have a little fun." A huge smile grew on his face, as he walked to where Julia sat against the wall. "And I think I'm going to start with you."

     Julia pressed herself against the wall, letting out a cry of protest. The man ran his hand down her side, causing her to shake.

     "Don't touch her!" I yelled, standing up even though I knew it was useless because of the chain. 

     "Shut up." He growled at me, focusing all of his attention on Julia.

     "I said don't touch her!" I screamed, as she began to shake even more. Julia has never done anything wrong, she didn't deserve this.

     "And what will you give me if I don't?" He turned to face me.

     "Don't touch her... and.." I couldn't stop the next words from leaving my mouth, I just knew that I had to do everything possible to protect her. "I'll let you do whatever you want to me.. Just don't touch her, please."

     He strode over to me. "Okay, this should be fun." I backed against the wall just as he put his hands on me.

     "This is going to be a lot of fun..." He chuckled.

     I closed my eyes, wishing I could be somewhere else, anywhere.