Chapter Five

A/N This chapter has been edited 02/14/2021

One Month Later

It's been four weeks since I met Cam. During the past few weeks, we've gotten to know each other better.

I learned he used to live two towns over and played on the football team. He told me football gave him a sense of purpose and he was hoping to get on the team here as well.

Once I found out he was trying to join the team, I felt very guilty. Trevor is captain of the football team and the quarterback, Trevor won't make it easy for Cam to join now. I felt so bad that I kept apologizing for two days straight until Cam told me if I apologize again he would stop speaking to me.

I also learned Cam's eighteen years old and has a younger brother named Colby who is four years old. He told me no matter what he would always be a great big brother to Colby. When he told me that, I kept thinking, how could I suspect such a sweet and caring person of tricking me?

My friends have accepted Cam into our group and Kylie has continued to try to push Cam and I together, despite my protests.

Currently I am walking down the hallway with Cam and Spencer, heading towards the cafeteria and trying to ignore the dirty looks I'm receiving from half the female population in this school.

Ever since Cam started to hang out with us, a couple of girls have confronted me, wanting to know why or what I did to make him hang around me. I ignore them. I've dealt with a few jealous girls before because of my friendship with Spencer so it's nothing new.

"When can I come over and finish watching the Rush Hour movies?" Cam whines like a three-year-old. I chuckle and roll my eyes at him. Cam has been asking to come over to my house several times in the last month.

"Why do you want to come over so badly?" I ask, annoyance clear in my tone which makes Spencer laugh.

"We're friends, friends hang out at each other's houses." Cam says.

"So, I can go to your house then?" I ask.

"Of course but I want to come to yours again first." Cam says matter of factly. I sigh, I was hoping inviting myself to his house would make him stop asking to come to mine but it didn't work. 

The truth is, I've been avoiding having him come over again. The thought of us alone in my house, makes me nervous. As much as I tried to stop it, as much as I hate myself for it, I've developed feelings for Cam in this short time.

I'm trying so hard to stop those feelings, knowing nothing will come of it, so I have been distancing myself as best as I can.

"Fine. We'll make a day of it, you, me, Spencer, Jake, and Kylie, we'll have a sleepover tonight. Junk food, movies, and pizza. Sound good?" I ask.

"Sounds fun." Spencer says. My eyes turn to Cam, waiting for a response. He smiles a small smile, one that doesn't reach his eyes. Does he not like that idea? My eyebrows furrow in confusion. Cam opens the cafeteria door for me and I walk through, thanking him.

"I'll tell Jake and Kylie." Spencer says, walking off. Cam and I walk towards the lunch line and join the other students. I turn to him and see he is lost in thought.

"I thought it would be fun. If everyone is over, then my parents are going to be more willing to say yes to having you over, especially after what happened last time." I say, feeling the need to explain myself. Cam smiles down at me and shakes his head.

"It's okay, I understand." Cam says absentmindedly. We lapse into silence again and Cam has the same expression on his face. I bump my hip with his and he snaps out of it, his eyes meeting mine.