Nissa: a contemporary fairy tale

1

            I’m only 900 years old, which is relatively young for a fairy godmother, equivalent to an eighteen year old human.

            My clan is considered small amongst the fairies of our woods as I only have six brothers and four sisters. Normally, woodland fairies cannot be godmothers or godfathers, but our mother was a fairy godmother before she partnered with my father, so it’s in our bloodline.

            My mother is a descendant of the Huldafolk. They’re known for their kindness and generous spirit, which makes them ideal Godparents for humans.

            My father is a Feeorin, a capricious lot, with a love of singing and dancing. We get our red hair from our father and pale skin from our mother, although I often wished for the green complexion of my father’s family.

            Despite the differences in their clans, my parents knew immediately that they were meant for each other. My mother had returned from a mission and my father was singing at the Midsummer’s Eve feast. It was love at first sight.

            My parents were lucky to find each other when they reached their mature forms and were old enough to be bound.

            Once they met, fell in love, and The Fates determined they could be partnered, my mother chose to forgo her fairy godmother status and stay permanently in the woods with my father. She could, however, pass her status on to one of her children.

            Our parents love to tell us the story of how they met and fell in love and how The Fates help all of us find love.

            When fairies find the person they’re fated for, we love each other for all eternity. Our bodies give us signs to help us realize that we have found the one.

            When you come in to contact with a fae with whom you experience a strong connection, your heart pounds like a drum, your right hand begins to tingle to the point of itching, and your eyes will momentarily turn pink to match your yearning heart.

            When all of these things occur, you may appeal to The Fates for a blessing of your union. If The Fates do not agree that the union is everlasting, you will not be allowed to see each other again in this lifetime. If they agree that you are meant to be, the joining of your lives would begin in that moment and will not end until the passing of both beings.

            “What happens if you never feel the signs, Mama?” my younger sister, Ella often asked our mother.

            “Don’t worry, sweet girl,” Mother always assured her. “It’s in our nature to enjoy lives full of love.”

            We all love to hear the stories and can’t wait to feel the stirrings of fate. I always dreamed of finding my fate, but I also wished to follow my mother’s path and be a Godparent. The thought of helping humans reach their potential or overcome a hardship really called to me. I wanted to make a difference, and be a part of something grander than the woods of my youth.

            My brothers and sisters have no interest whatsoever in being a Godparent. They’re content to rule the woods and live a happy and carefree life.

            We all look alike, with our fair skin and bright red hair. Our wings are the feature that separates us. Each pair is unique, a reflection of our personalities.

            When it comes to personality, I’m the odd one of the bunch. Similar to my brothers and sisters, I love to frolic and dance, and I’m always ready to join them on a merry chase, but they often joke that if I can’t be found,  listen for signs of the injured or brokenhearted. I’ll be there trying to fix the situation.