Honor Never Fades

1966

 After the Great Depression, the families who lost great fortunes moved from their spacious homes in the city, to their little summer cottages on the creek year round. They also sold parcels of land that they may have owned around the cottages, which caused more families to flock there and build. The cottages need to be adapted with fireplaces and heating stoves to provide warmth in the winter. The walls were not solid, and therefore they were drafty. Still, a drafty home was better than no home. And because of that, over the decades the cottage of several rooms, soon became three bedroom houses. Over time, each home became incredibly unique from its neighbors, as rooms were added at the owner's leisure. The homes were supplied with electricity, telephones, running water, and the outhouses were destroyed as the bathrooms were added.

 After World War II, a black family had moved into the home that was once the Owens' cottage. Although they were the only blacks in the neighborhood, they were accepted into the fold as one of the family. Mr. and Mrs. Washington had three children, two boys and a girl. The oldest boy, Daryl, died of sickle cell anemia when he was six years old. Because of it, they lavished their other two children with love every day, knowing how precious every second can be.

In 1966, seventeen year old Christopher Washington came home from school and told his parents, "Mom, Dad, I spoke with a recruiter today, and I am enlisting in the United States Army after graduation." His father was proud, and his mother was fearful. She wanted to smack both her husband and her son until they started thinking properly.

Slapping his son on the back, Marquis said, "Son, I'm proud. Today, you are a man who will defend this country the way I did, and your grandfather before me. It is a great honor to serve one's country, and I support your decision."

"Are you both crazy? I must have watched that show The Twilight Zone a little too often, cause I think I just entered it." Looking at her son, Mona said, "What on God's good earth made you decide to do this? You just went and did it? You didn't think to talk to us first?"

Christopher rolled his eyes, "Mama, this is why. I knew you would react like this! Dad, talk to her please?" The parents then argued while Christopher walked out the front door and sat on the front step. When he saw Mrs. Manel rocking in her chair on her porch across the street, he decided to go talk to her. He was excited, and he hoped that someone would share in his good news without making him feel bad.

"Mrs. Manel, guess what I did today? I enlisted in the United States Army!" She was old, and plump. She looked like a grandmother with her pure white curly hair, and thin rimmed glasses. She seemed to be a fixture in the neighborhood, and all the kids loved to hear her stories. Every Halloween, the children gathered to hear her tell "The Captain of the Creek" story, just after they finished their outing for the night.

"You did? How exciting for you! Did I ever tell you that my own father was an officer in the civil war? I have his uniforms and weapons upstairs in the attic." She had told him a hundred times, but she was forgetful. For years he sat and listened to her stories of her father fighting against the Confederacy, and making the country a better place. One of the favorite parts of his childhood was sitting on her porch drinking milk with some cookies and listening to great battles being fought, about good conquering evil. Now was his time to be the good. Now was his time to conquer the evil.

He went on to explain to her that he had only two more months until graduation, by September, he would be headed to basic training. He wanted to help people, and thought the best way to do that would be to become a doctor. Until he was able to leave the Army and go to college with the GI Bill, he was determined to learn as much as he could as a combat medic. He purposely left that part out of his conversation with his mother, he knew for sure that would terrify her. He spoke with wide eyes and excitement in his voice. He truly thought that his life was going to become an adventure where he could travel and broaden his horizons. His life was about to begin and he was ready.