Foreword

Hello to you, my errant reader.

Within this piece of fiction you will find various fairytales.

They are not quite the fairytales you remember, as they have been meticulously and lovingly mutilated in the name of romance, in the name of--something. In these tales, the protagonists are odd, they're witty and weird and some of them probably ought to have just stayed at home and avoided being put into a fairytale altogether.

The romances may be as they should have been in the original, or they might not be right in the least.

Maybe they even have just a bare-bones relation to the original. Oops!

Nevertheless, may you enjoy the tales contained within this work.

Warnings and disclaimers

These stories contain an offensive level of fluff and cuteness. The author is not responsible for cavities, diabetes, or any other affliction or disease you may get after consumption of these silly tales. In addition, the author did not decide to retell these fairytales with morals in mind, save for the obvious ones: don't kidnap people, curses are generally bad, and evil people always get their just desserts (in these stories at least).

Happy endings are considered a rule and not an option. For any of these stories not to have a happy ending would be unforgivable.

(Bad endings for bad people are fine but remember that there's something nice about a good redemption arc.)

The author of this work does not own the original fairytales that these stories were adapted from. However, that author does reluctantly own the characters presented within, with all of their quirks and oddities. So too does the author own all of the changes and mutilations made from the original fairytales.

More serious warnings

Some stories will ABSOLUTELY contain romance with non-humans or humans-turned-monsters. Every romance will be a boy and a boy (or man and a man), because why not.

Any stories necessitating further warnings will have them, otherwise please read with comfort and pleasure. Sometimes the stories may be a little dark but, considering original fairytales, that's par for the course.

What the devil are these fairytales?

Oh? Are you curious?

Allow me to give you both the author (when available) and the name for the fairytales... they're usually the same as the chapter titles, but so you can find and enjoy the originals yourself, here they are!

1) The Snow King and the Bee: Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen"
2) The Bear: collected by Andrew Lang "The Bear"
3) The White Dragon: Chinese folklore "The Thunder Dragon" (this one is tricky to find, I read it in "Once upon a time..." by Lisa Hunt which is a partner book to a fairytale tarot)
4) The Six Swans: Brothers Grimm "The Six Swans"
5) The Tale of Yamata no Orochi: Shinto mythology
6) Diamonds and Toads: Charles Perrault "Diamonds and Toads"

Cheers and happy reading,
V.B.