Prologue

Prologue

I sat outside my house crying. I didn't want to believe the news my parents told me, just minutes ago. The aching feeling inside me was unbearable. I needed to be comforted badly, so I stood up and started to walk down my street.

There was only two people that I wanted to see right now. They were my best friends. They knew everything about me, and they were always there for me. We always had eachothers back no matter what. I trusted them with my life.

I knew where they were going to be. Every summer night they do the same thing. Play video games at one of their houses.

I spotted one of their houses, and quickly walked up to it, hoping they were there. When I got to the door, I knocked lightly and waited patiently for someone to answer.

After waiting for about fifteen seconds, the door swung open, showing me one of my best friends. Ryder.

His smile was soon replaced by a frown when he noticed my tear strained face. Before I knew it he stepped outside and encircled me with his arms. I started to sob into his shirt again, while he rubbed my back smoothly. Not long after, my other best friend, Chase, came out.

"Rylee? What's wrong?" Chase asked. He just stood there and watched, not knowing what to do.

I wanted to tell him what was wrong, but i couldn't form any coherent words in my mouth. He noticed my lost of words, came over to comfort and hold me. Together the three of us stood there and hugged each other for awhile. We eventually broke apart and sat down on the front porch together.

"So who's butt am I kicking today Rylee?" Chase broke the silence by asking.

I forced a sift laugh out of my mouth, and wiped some tears away. I sighed loudly while both boys looked at me with questing gazes.

"My dad...he...he got a new job." I started off slowly. I knew they would hate this news as much as I did, but I had to tell them.

Ryder rubbed my back again and nodded for me to go on.

"He got a job in Kansas." I blurted out.

I watched both of their faces fill with disappointment as they realized what this meant. I felt new tears prick at my eyes, so I hid my face in my hands, not wanting them to see me cry.

"Oh." They both said at the same time.

Then Ryder put his head in his hands, and Chase turned his head the other direction, but not before I saw a tear run down his cheek. I absolutely hated seeing then like this.

I may only be ten right now, but I knew what was going to happen. I was moving away from my hometown here in Florida. I was going to be leaving my two best friends behind. I may never see them again. Once I leave I have no way of contacting then. I was leaving my whole childhood behind, and they was nothing I could do to stop it.

They both put their arm around me and half hugged me. Then we all sat there quietly, thinking about what I just said.

Even though these boys are two years older than me, I'm going to miss them so much. They're like my brothers. I've known them ever since I was born. To imagine my life without them is impossible. I never thought this would happen. I don't think any of us did.

After what felt like years, Chase spoke up and asked the question I know they have been waiting to hear.

"When do you leave Rylee?"

They both stared at me, waiting for my answer. I was afraid to tell them. This was the part I knew they were going to hate the most.

"In five days." Came my short reply.

I had the urge to cry again. That was so soon. I couldn't believe how fast this was all happening.

"What? But that's so close?" Ryder whispered.

"I know. My parents already found a house there."

Both boys scooted closer to me, and put their arms around me. I laid my head on Ryder's shoulder, and he gave me a reassuring hug as I continued to cry.

"I'm going to miss both of you so much." I said.

I didn't want to leave them, but here I was, about to spend my last five days with them.