Tool 8: After the First Draft

Getting Feedback

Writers Groups

This is a delicate subject.  Many writers swear by their groups.  Overall, I’m not that big of a fan unless the group fits certain specific requirements.  I lay those out in another book dedicated solely to the subject of writers groups and how to build one that moves forward rather than goes in circles.

Sometimes writers groups are the blind leading the blind.  You need a leader in such a group; a leader who is a successful author and experienced and good at controlling the group without letting ego get in the way.

You need a group that moves forward. For novel writers this is particularly hard.

You need a group that is the right size.  For novels, more than four or five people starts getting awkward.  Can everyone in the group keep up with that many manuscripts?  Under three and it’s two people staring at each other with their hands over their red pens, ready to draw down on each other.  Sometimes, I think it’s much better for a novelist to have . . .

Beta Readers

I’ve always had beta readers; a couple of people who I trust to read the manuscript from beginning to end when I’ve completed it. Many writers have a problem with beta readers.  The problem isn’t what the beta readers have to say, the problem is whether we as writers are willing to listen to them? I’ve ‘critiqued’ a lot of writers over the years and most have been open to comments. However, about one in five ‘fights’ back. They start explaining things with the basic philosophy of well, you didn’t get it. My reply is usually, you’re right, I didn’t. The reality is it’s not the reader’s job to get it. It’s the writers job to rewrite so the reader gets it. Got it?

I like the idea of beta readers being readers and not other writers. Writers tend to be too picky. Also, they can resent writing that is better than their own. 

How many beta readers should you have?  Three or four is a good number. More than that and you end up with too many cooks in the kitchen. You are the sole cook. Using only one reader is dangerous too. It’s good sometimes to have opposing views.  Beta readers will let you know what they see purely from the writing.

Book Doctors

This is a personal choice but I’ve never had an agent or editor come back with feedback that I wasn’t already aware of on some level.  A good book doctor costs A LOT.  When I used to look at people’s material, I told them I could figure out 95% of what was going on from just seeing their query letter (idea), synopsis (story) and first ten pages.  The pages gave me information about their writing style, point of view, etc. etc.  I didn’t need to read the next 390 pages to keep making the same comments.

Bottom line with book doctors:  you get what you pay for.

Agent Feedback

Normally this consists of a one-page letter.  If an agent has to write more than that, they probably aren’t going to work with you.  You need an agent you can trust.  And listen carefully to their feedback, because they see the manuscript in terms of whether they can sell it or not.

When getting this feedback, as well as any other feedback, you have to divine the difference between being upset because you screwed up and it needs work or believing what you did was right and you want to stick to your guns.  Usually you’re wrong.

Editorial Feedback

My experience in this area has ranged from none to a 14 pages single-spaced letter.  Both extremes were not good.  In this day of self-publishing you definitely need a professional opinion on your manuscript along with help.  Again, you get what you pay for.