The Family Games

Chapter 1

Summary: it’s the 75th hunger games but not only are the victors in the reaping but their families too. To make it even worse theres twice the amount of tributes going in.  Now not only Katniss and Peeta have to save each other’s lives but the lives of one of their family members too. 

This is my first story posted on wattpad! Please no bad reviews!

Katniss pov:

It’s the day of the 75th hunger games reaping or the 3rd quarter quell as most people call it. I’m walking up to the stage with my sister, my mom and my fiancé’s mom. On the other side stands Peeta, his brothers, his dad and Haymitch. They look so close in appearance you could almost mistake them as family. Almost. I’m holding prims hand tightly she’s only thirteen still just a child. I had to calm her down this morning since there’s only four girls the odds of us going in climb but, I’m ready to volunteer for her again if I have too.

Effie walks up happy and as preppy as usual she does her speech which I barely pay attention to. I'm already planning the gameplay for this year’s games I know I’m going back in Snow probably made sure of it.

“As usual ladies first” Effie’s voices breaks my thoughts. She walks over to the glass bowl in front of us, reaches in and pulls out a slip of paper holding one of our fates. She opens it and clears her throat. I’m holding prims hand in almost a death grip by now.

“Katniss Everdeen” She says into the microphone. I let go of prims hand and whisper to her

“You’ll be safe prim.” I walk up beside Effie she gives me a half smile and looks back out into the crowd.

“Now time for the boys” She announces and walks over to the bowl as I stand there silently hoping it’s not Haymitch so he can volunteer for Peeta keep him out of the games at least. She picks up the white slip and walks to the stand and unfolds it.

“Haymitch Abernathy” She announces. Before I can wrap my mind around the name Peeta raises his hand. “I volunteer!” He shouts and walks over and stands on the other side of Effie. Now it’s the girls turn again. Please let it be anyone but Prim, please. I silently beg in my mind.

“Alright then now it’s the ladies turn again” She says in a voice with less enthusiasm. She walks over to the bowl and picks out another slip, carries it back to the stand and opens it.

“Primrose Everdeen” She announces. I fight back all the feelings that threaten to come out. I’m not coming home my little sister is. I’m making sure my little sister is coming home. Effie gives us a sad smile and I hold my sisters hand tightly.

“Now last but not least the boys” She announces, walks over to the bowl slowly and picks out the paper. She takes it back and clears her throat for the last and final name for the second district 12 male tribute.

“Rye Mellark” She announces. I look at them. Rye is Peeta’s brother he’s only a couple years older than Peeta he’s 19 and a really nice guy. I watch Rye go stand beside his brother he’s fighting back tears, I can tell. Peeta isn’t doing the best either I’m going to make sure he’s ok after this. Effie clears her throat again.

“This year’s tributes for the 75th hunger games from district 12 are Katniss and Primrose Everdeen and Peeta and Rye Mellark Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor.” She sighs and walks off the stage with the 4 of us behind her. Prim is so scared she won’t let go of me. Peeta comes over and hugs me.

“It’s ok Katniss” He whispers “she’s going to be ok don’t worry” I just hug him back thinking it’s kind of hard not to worry, my little sister is in the hunger games. After a while we let go of each other.