Scarves and Loves

My breath was hurried and my heart is beating in my ear. No..no no why did this happen. My sneakers fly over the pavement, my hair is a tangled mess and my clothes are already soaked with sweat. The reason why I’m running like hell, is something you might want to know.

Let’s start with the beginning,

Hay I’m Rosa Helmond, proud 16 year old and owner of absolutely nothing. Never had a boyfriend and a bit of a shy person. I’m relatively smart, but not honor student material. I’m have a good health what makes it possible for me to run for my life. I have always preferred to run away from the problem then facing it. Call it cowardly or just being weak, I don’t mind either way.  So when this morning my biggest secret was revealed by the person I trusted most the habit kicked in and I ran.

My secret? An super embarrassing crush on one of the hottest guys of my school. Which had been going on for the past 6 months. Hyde Miller was the most popular guy in school, always had the highest scores of the exams and was unbelievable handsome. But all that wasn’t the reason why I liked him. It was something minor and small, he probably didn’t ever remembered.

The first time I had really met him was in the library. Of course I had heard stories about him and I saw him walk down the hall, but that was the first time I really looked at him. I had been looking for a book on math tutoring because I suck at it when I had seen him.

He was sitting at one of the big tables in the middle of the building. All around him books forming some kind of wall which made him hard to see. At first I thought he was studding very hard because he was completely bend over the book he was reading, but that wasn’t true. When I walked closer to see what a smart person like he was reading. I saw it.

He was asleep. His head was resting on one of the books and his back went up and down in a steady rhyme. My mouth dropped, I had never seen someone sleep in such a place. In my blank and confused state of mind I had sat down right next to him.

I already knew he was handsome and up close you could see it even better. His blond hair gleams in the sunlight. His dark eyelashes were long and gorgeous. He had a strong jaw line and a right nose. Without thinking my hand reached out to touch his golden locks. I never imagined someone like him would have to study so hard for tests, and to go as far as exhausting himself to the point of falling asleep.

My heart skipped a beat when I realize that I I’m probably the only girl who ever saw him like this, a part from his girlfriend maybe. A sudden worry had gone over me, what if he gets a cold from sleeping out here. And without rational thinking a had draped the big scarf I always wear when it’s cold around his shoulders.

I had left the building without farther notice.  The next day I had been waiting to see him, somewhat fearing he had caught a cold after all. But he came, wearing my big beige scarf. And ever since that day Hyde would come to school wearing my scarf around his neck and I would look out for him. It had been the trigger for me to hold my feelings dear, and I didn’t try to forget out them.

But today the worst thing happened. When I came to school everything was still normal. I sat in my bench awaiting to see my scarf around the neck of the boy I liked, but he didn’t walk through the entrance like usual. It was uncommon for him to be late or miss a school day but I didn’t think much of it. What I did notice was that a lot of people were looking at me or giggling behind their hand. It was really annoying. At the end of class all my nerves were pushed to their limits, and when the bell rang I almost ran out of the classroom. In the doorway I ran into someone. ‘He, watch were you’re… going.’ My voice trembled when I noticed who it was. HYDE! My mind went into panic mode, why was he here! He opened his mouth to reply but I was already halfway into the hallway. With a half run half walk I escaped into one of the girl toilets and locked myself into one of the stalls.

My mind went overdrive when I tried to find a reasonable explanation why he had been waiting in the doorway, maybe he had a new girlfriend who was sitting in our class our he was picking up one of his buddies. But as far as I knew none of my classmates  were friend with or even knew him.

My minds speculating was interrupted when a few girl went into the bathroom. I slowed my breathing and didn’t move so I wouldn’t be discovered. ‘Have you hear about Rosa, from 2B, I heard some girl say she has an huge crush on Hyde and even went as far as giving him her scarf! How desperate is that, if she wanted to have him she shouldn’t be mothering him like a baby.’

My cheeks flush bright red, form both anger as humiliation. How did they know that, and even worse did Hyde know? I felt nauseous, why else did he come to the class room, it was probably just to return my scarf and reject me. I must look like some kind of creepy stalker.

I waited until the girls had left and picked up my stuff from my locker. I so did not want to go to school anymore. One time skipping isn’t that bad, and who cares I would rather write a hundred punishment letters then going though the humiliation that was waiting for me in class.

I could have left in peace if I hadn’t been stupid enough to walk into the person who I wanted to avoid so badly.

That brings me to where I am right now. Being chased by the most popular guy in school who I think is trying to reject me. Being me the person with no gut I’m running around making a scene. I can’t really hide in a bathroom cause then I would just corner myself more, I can’t go home cause the gates are closed during school time and I can’t face him cause I’m like I just said gut-less. And running around gives me the time to think this through, with is not a lot as I’m running away from the best athlete in our year.

‘Wait, Rosa!’ he’s gaining on me, and how the hell does he know my name. (this is the useful info I can pick out of my head next to “AAAAAAAAHHHH”). ‘Stop chasing me!!’ my voice is muffled because I’m already painting heavily. ‘I will if you stop running!’ I’m afraid he’s missing the point here, I’m running away from you! But my legs aren’t going to hold on for much longer.

And with a last step my knees give in and I fall. I already have my hands out to stop me from doing a complete belly slide but they never touch the ground. Instead of pain a warm tingly feeling creeps over me. I slowly open my eye to look directly into Hyde’s face. His green eyes look relieved as if I could go running any second now. ‘Than..k you.’

His fierce green eyes take me in and make my head spin. He puts me back on my feet and almost reluctantly he lets go of me. ‘You finally stopped running.’ A smile lights his face, well don’t get cocky I didn’t really have a choice did I? and like he knew what I was thinking his smiled widened. ‘No not really no. But I didn’t really have a choice either.’ He takes my scarf out of his pocket. I make a horrific face and blush deeply humiliated.

‘You know.’ He goes on like he doesn’t notice my humiliation. ‘you shouldn’t hand out scarves to every guy who sleeps at a public place.’ I desperately study the patterns on my shoes not knowing how to face him. His hand reaches out to my chin and makes me look at him. ‘But I should thank you.’ My surprised face makes the amusement in his eyes even greater. ‘What do you mean? You would chase a girl through the entire school just to  thank her?’ sure enough a little red makes its way to his cheeks. ‘Well yes, I mean no not every girl. But..’ it was cute how he stumbled over his words.

His tone became suddenly very serious. ‘But you’re not like every girl, you never asked for more, you helped me and never asked anything in return.’ His hand doesn’t let go of my chin to prevent me from looking away. ‘You have no idea how hard it was to find you, you’re friend was quite stubborn.’ I knew I shouldn’t have told my friends about it. ‘And now I can finally ask you. Can I keep it?’ the serious look made doubt what he was talking about, he couldn’t mean.. ‘The scarf?’ He nodded in response. ‘And your feelings?’ My face colored bright red.

‘Yes.’