Chapter 6

Zayne’s pov

I head to the school building blasting Kid Ink from my iPod tuning out all the kids milling around before first bell. As I head toward my lockers I walk through a crowd of popular kids that give me a mixture of looks ranging from jealousy to desire. I smirk haughtily at them and then throw my bag in the locker and take out my books for my next two classes.

It’s been a week since I started going to NHS and I’ve settled in pretty nicely. So far all the grade school kids from the coven have integrated and so far so good. There are only three that are around my age and they all go to the same school as me. Heading to Ellis’ classroom I run to all of them congregated there, waiting on me.

Randy is an asian-american that has a knack for doing the very thing that people hate which is why, for the past year and a half, he's been styling his hair in a mohawk. And not just any type of mohawk. It's a special mohawk that reflects the current mood he's in. He stocks up on temporary dye every time we go to Walgreens and his parents lose five inches off their life every time they see his daily masterpiece. Today he's decided to gel it up and go with neon pink for the time begin, but knowing him he’ll most likely change it by next week.

Tammy is the only girl with soft brown ringlets and doe eyes that seduce men and women alike; but never let those peepers fool you. She’s a sadistic freak with a perverse hunger for older men. And not Johnny-Depp-or-Brad-Pitt old, more like Robert Redford and Sean Connery old. I think it stems from some serious daddy issues but it's weird because her dad is a really cool guy. I try not to judge...or think about it at all. Too scary.

And then there’s Clinton, my best friend, who I’ve known since kindergarten. He's practically like a brother to me. We do everything together; hell, we even went through the Transition at the same time. 

They greet me with a smile which I return. “Wassup, guys? Shouldn’t we all be heading to class?” I wonder, shooting them all threatening looks.

Clinton claps me on the back. “Relax, Mr. Truancy! We just came to give you our reports,” he smiles, good-naturedly.

Again confused I ask. “And why couldn’t this wait until Lunch. We all have it the same period.”

“Because we wanted to see you, silly bear!” Tammy exclaims in a high pitch voice, grabbing my arm and giving me a bright smile making all the guys around us hate me even more.

I shoot her a scathing look while prying my arm from her grasp and she just smiles even more radiantly. Gah, I hated it when she did that, she always sounded like a Disney princess character on crack. Randy rolls his eyes at her, earning a childish tongue wave from her and focuses back on me.

“We weren’t sure you were going to be there seeing as how you haven’t been there for the past two days,” he says hiking up an eyebrow. “Where have you been man?” He finishes, they all looking curious.

Luke and I had agreed to keep our relationship on the down low and I’ve been dodging questions like this for the past week. If it was me, I would just tell them outright. I got nothing to be ashamed off, but Luke doesn’t agree so we’ll do it his way…for now.

So instead, I opt to taking the approach I’m best at—lying. “I had to do some work with administration. You know, fill out some paperwork for all the transfers we’ve had this past week,” I shrug nonchalantly.

Tammy and Randy shrug as well before handing in their reports and walking off. I turn to Clinton to see him standing there with his arms followed and a disbelieving look on his face. “So…you want to tell me the truth?”

“I’m pretty sure I don’t know what you mean.”

“Pretty sure or definitely? There’s no room for maybe in that statement.  Either you do or you don’t and I believe, rather I know, that you do,” he says, giving me a look that dares me to lie to him.