Trembling Darkness

Halo sat beside her sisters on her bed. She didn't want to tell them but she had to. "Something's wrong with Mom," she announced gravely. 

Willow and Fear stared at her wide-eyed. "Wha-what do you mean something's wrong with her?" Willow asked fearfully. 

Halo sighed. "I think she's sick... She's been acting odd ever since we came home from Jagged's house three days ago," she told them, tears pooling in her eyes.  

Willow refused to believe it. She couldn't. "You're wrong! She can't be sick!" Willow argued and ran from the room. 

Fear just stared at Halo and Halo thought it might have been one of the few times her sister had ever seemed scared or concerned. Halo groaned and got up then left the room to go find Willow. Halo looked everywhere in the house but could not find her sister. Halo sighed and put on her coat. She had to find Willow. 

After Halo searched a while outside she found Willow up in a tree crying. Halo quickly climbed the tree and sat on a branch near Willow. "I'm sorry... I just didn't want it to come as a shock to you if- if..." Halo couldn't bear to finish the sentence. 

"Halo, when Dad died I did my best not to let it get to me. But what if Mom dies? What will happen to us?" Willow asked Halo. 

Halo sighed and moved closer to her sister. "Willow, no matter what happens I will always be here for you. I love you and Fear, never forget that," Halo told her. 

Willow climbed out of the tree and walked slowly back to the house, Halo waited a minute and then started off after her sister. When Halo got home she found her sister up in their room crying on her bed. Halo sat beside her and pulled Willow into a hug. Willow just cried on Halo's chest.  

Halo just sat with her sister hugging her. She knew her sister didn't need words, just love. Eventually Willow stopped crying. Fear came into the room and they all went to bed.

New Year's Eve Halo, Willow, and Fear were sitting in the living room when Mrs. Lemaya came into the room. Halo met her mother's eyes and knew immediately something was wrong. "I visited the hospital while you were gone... I have cancer... Its incurable and I am going to- going to die soon," she alerted them. 

Willow looked at Halo, her skin pale, and then started crying. Halo just sat there and held her little sister while Fear sat beside them. "I love you. I really do. Halo, I know you'll take care of your sisters... Willow never stop writing. Fear don't stop drawing..." she said before hugging each of them and going to bed. 

Fear climbed into her bed and drew until Willow calmed down and fell asleep. Then Halo headed for bed too and quickly fell asleep.

The next morning Fear woke up and knew something was wrong. She got up as quietly as she could, so she didn't wake her sisters, and headed for her Mom's room. As she peeked into the room she could tell her mother was dead. She slipped down the wall and sat by the door. It was an hour before her siblings woke up and came down the hall. "What's wrong?" Halo asked. 

Fear shook her head and a tear slipped down her cheek. "Mom... Mom's..." she began but couldn't speak. 

Halo nodded her understanding and this time Willow didn't cry. She sat beside Fear and pulled her into a hug. Halo sat on the other side of Fear and hugged her too. The three sat there for a long time before the doorbell rang. Halo got up and ran to the door. When she saw Sonic standing there she turned wordlessly and went back to her sisters. Sonic followed them and sat beside Willow. He put his hand on her shoulder and whispered, "Halo will take care of you... Don't worry." 

Hours passed and the house grew dark. After a while Sonic silently got up and let himself out of the house. When he got home he told his mom what had happened. Mrs. Crosshawk picked up the phone and called someone, probably a social worker.