Introduction

A tale of survival. What happens when society crumbles, when the power goes out and the store shelves go bare? Do people band together, or does the rule of law and sense of community give way to mob mentality and survival of the fittest? Connor and his family are unprepared for the apocalypse, but how far will a man go to save his family? How far will he go to just survive?

 This is a piece of speculative fiction I'm just writing to write, just stretching my legs so-to-speak. I am fascinated by the precarious nature of our civilization, it's like an inverse pyramid, or worse a flimsy house of cards. Events in recent history like hurricane Katrina, 9/11 and other disasters give us a brief glimpse at the real essence of man. I intend to pursue that in this story.

This is a bit of a creative writing sandbox, even the title is well, a working title. This is also my first foray into the first person present tense narrative. Trying to figure out if I like this narrative mode, but I have to be honest, it seems like a bit of a fad. Of course, I think Hemingway did it, so it can't be all bad.

Also, this will like get an R-rating pretty fast, the language will be salty and the themes could get dark.

By Rick Chisholm

Copyright © 2014 Rick Chisholm All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or in any means – by electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise – without prior written permission.