New Girl

ONE

I was new to Treesburg High and apparently the students here weren't friendly to newbies. It had been a quiet day with only me iPod playing me non-high school sounds. It was lunch and I had gone up to all the tables inside and outside and they were all "full". People are jerks. I saw a wall across the yard with only one occupant and it was a small wall. Probably only fits two people with elbow room.

I walked over to the wall and saw that its occupant was a guy about my age with dark curly hair that was almost black. He had Harry Potter glasses and looked very tall. I'm talking like, six foot three. By my definition, that was a giant. Then again I was only five-one. 

When I got to the wall I sat down probably only six inches from him to prevent falling off. I started eating my lunch and realized he was staring at me.

"What?" I asked. "You going to ask me to move? Because I won't."

"Did the Cheerleaders tell you to sit by me?" he said. He had a deep voice and gray eyes.

"No. Do they usually tell people to sit by you?"

"Sometimes. They do it to mess with me."  I squinted t him.

"Does it bug you?"

"Yes."

"Don't. Don't let them get to you. Don't let win, they're jerks. Why do they mess with you in the first place? Maybe they're jealous of you?"

"Do you not know how high school works? How life works. I’m a nerd. Nerds at the bottom of the social pyramid. That's good advice though," he said the last bit with a bit sarcasm. He was making me kind of mad.

"Sorry for trying to help. You're the one with the staring problem. I just wanted a place to sit to eat my lunch in peace. Is that too much to ask? And I do know how high school works and you know what it sucks," I said my anger evidence in my voice. I was done eating so I got up to go through my tray away.

                                                               **********************************

Later that day I was at my locker when I heard a familiar deep voice. "You were right. I shouldn't let them get to me. I'm sorry for acting like a jerk."

I turned and see the boy. "It's okay; you didn't act like a jerk. I'm not usually so mean, it's just everyone else was a jerk and I guess I was just tired of it."

"It's not okay. I shouldn't have the way I did. it was inexcusable," he said. Now that he was apologizing he seemed kind of sweet.

"You know," I said,” you don't look like a nerd. Other than the Harry Potter glasses, but you don't radiate intelligence or anything." This made him laugh.

"Harry Potter glasses?" he said. "They look like Harry Potter glasses?"

"Yeah, give yourself a lightning scar on your forehead and your name might as well be Harry Potter." This made him laugh even more.

"God, you funny. I'm Lewis by the way."

"Meah."

"Well nice to meet you Meah," he held out his hand and I shaked it.