Seventeen {17}

The yellow highlighter met the dilapidated pages of the old copy of William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury, the words clumping together importantly. Skimming over the notes of the previous few owners, I carefully turned the ancient page and continued to read, when I came across a line that sounded vaguely familiar.

"What is it now." Father said. "Where are you going."

"I have a project to work on for school," I said. He looked up from his work that sat on his desk and looked back down just as quickly, as if even looking at me irritated him. Taking his glasses off, he rubbed the bridge of his nose and sighed.

"What do you want from me?"

"I was wondering if I could have my car keys back," I ventured.

"Ask your mother."

"She said to ask you."

"I don't have them." He put his glasses back on, which signified the conversation was over and that I should leave if I didn't want to go to school with a black eye.

I shifted and said, "But Mom said you did."

Dad stood up, easily towering over me, easily outweighing me, looking at me with wide, crazy eyes, as if I had somehow offended him. Knowing my father, I probably had.

"William."

"Yes, sir?"

"Do you like having privileges?"

"Yes, sir."

"You like going out with your friends? Having a cell phone? Playing football?"

"Yes, sir."

"Bother me one more time while I'm working and I'll see to it that you won't have any of those." He sat down again and adjusted his tie. "Or any front teeth." Picking up his pen, he glanced at me. "Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, sir."

"Answer your goddamn cell phone the next time I call you. Now, get out."

"Will?" Hearing my mom's voice call my name broke me out of my unpleasant reverie and I swiveled my desk chair around to face the door.

"Yeah, Mom?"

"Oh, you're not dressed, I'll come back later." She placed her hand over her eyes and turned back to the doorway.

"It's okay, I'm wearing pants. What is it?" I stood up and walked over to her, waiting for a response. 

"I just wanted to give you back these." She lifted my hand and put my car keys in my palm. She held on a little longer than I thought she would, but she eventually let go and crossed her arms, smiling a tightlipped smile.

She wore only a jacket and pajama pants. It was a sad sight to see, and it made my chest hurt to see her so defeated. My thoughts turned dark when I was reminded that this was what my dad turned her into. A deflated, lazy version of a housewife that didn't cook or clean and slacked off when it came to her other job. Ever since her bakery went under, it was like she did too.

I felt a hand on my face and met my mom's eyes. 

"You need to shave soon, honey. Look how handsome you've gotten. So tall and strong, you'll definitely make a girl happy some day." I looked at my feet. "Why don't you ever bring any girls home, sweetheart? I'm sure there are plenty that would be more than willing to date you."

"Um, I'm not really interested in any right now."

She nodded and ran a hand through my hair. "You'll need a haircut soon," she laughed. "You look just like your father did when he was your age. But you got my light hair and eyes, you both did." She pulled me down for a hug, a quick one and albeit it was awkward, it was still touching. She kissed my cheek and let me back up. "I'll leave you to your studying."