Never Forever

Never Forever

There is a shadowed estate, even in morning this place is lifeless and void of any happy feeling. Buried behind perished vines and flowers, lies a mansion that can only be described as more depressing than the land it resides on. As the eerie wind blows upon this house, it creaks in such a manor it would make your hair stand on end. Now if you were to listen hard enough under the creaking, is the sound of a quiet moan. You would believe the wind produced this miserable moaning sound. In truth underneath this unhappy place lies the door to Hades. Beyond Cerberus and beyond the Ferry Man is the source of the moaning, moaning from the dead but very animated souls of the deceased. The souls make up a river, if you were to pass by this river, these poor souls would try to lure you in their eternal misery. Beyond them I live in eternal misery, chained as my punishment for disobeying. These chains I've broken over and over, yet they always repair and wrap themselves around me doing the only job they can, to confine. They are the hydra of chains; break one, two more come. Yet the actions I made that got me confined in this hell, was worth it. I sacrificed my life to save another. I always obeyed and never questioned until she came into my life; Hedone goddess of pleasure and happiness. She brought something out of me I had never felt. One was love almost compared to it was anger. I had never felt anger; I had always demonstrated a composure almost like still water. I never yelled, never felt anything; I was mute inside and out. Yet she broke me out of a dead skin and saw something great within me. She was a person that was rare, a person no one could hate.

I look to the entrance of my cell which is covered by dead, black thorned vines. The flowers glow a bright red, blood flowing through their every petal. The flowers do not need sun and do not need water. They live of happiness, memories, any good emotion felt. When they do not get that, they whip into a frenzy; for their last resort to is to live on blood. So you can imagine they have sucked life, misery, and blood from me many times. I don't blame them they are mindless plants that do what they can to survive. I have lost very many good memories and happy feelings, but they do give me something beautiful to look at. They are all I can look at that is living. Maybe they benefit from having something happy.

Even as I look around my cell that is blackened with the smell of death and evil, I cannot be miserable. When I think back I do think this punishment as unfair. For me, a loyal servant of Zeus who never disobeyed except once, was thrown into this place forever. Were my actions not enough or were they too little? Did I not sacrifice enough? I think Zeus wanted to punishment Hedone more than I. For she had given me free thought, feelings, and many more things I can never had. He probably liked me better as a brainless worker carrying out his tasks, making his enemies my enemies. He had someone who listened to him without question. It was probably lucky when I made the deal when I did. He probably would've given her a torture worst than mine. For Zeus is a very jealous and angry god. He believes once something is his it is always his. I see now that he is not perfect as I once believed.

Sometimes I heard an echo and I think its insanity finally getting to me but it calls my name. It's strange but it gives me the energy to break a few chains but never enough. I believe in might be her, calling out in her sad agony, alone. It brings a pain into my heart that is a worse torture than this. I break chain after chain but it seems I have no power anymore... I hope that I never loss hope to free myself. One day... I know she will call to me so loudly... I will break these chains... and break through those flowers and vines. I will run and run past the sea of souls. I convince the ferry man and will be taken across the sea of the dead. I will defeat Cerberus and any who stand in my path. The mansion will not hold me. Neither will the ominous plants, that I know must be enchanted to catch those who try to run. I will be given the power to run to her and save her from any trouble or pain. It might not be today or soon, but I know that day will come. Nothing can hold me forever; they might hold me for long years... but never forever.