The Note

My heart skipped a beat as my fingers lingered on the cool wood edge of the nightstand. With one eye help open peering through the small slit of my lids, I reached to follow the charger cord fro the outlet to its empty end. Taped to the end of the lightning cord, an off white card was affixed to the nub. Rubbing my other eye open to attention, I read the note...

"My love-

I am leaving you. I feel used, overworked, underpaid, shattered and broken in this relationship. You have left me hot, naked and wanting after hours of teasing with no relief. You ignore me as soon as anyone especially that girl comes around. Don't think I haven't seen the pictures. I have. When I'm in your arms and you held me close, it erased that girl from my memory. Only to have those dark thoughts return in the dark of night. I loved you for two years. This note was three months coming but I stuck around in hopes you would hold me closer after all we have shared together. I was so wrong. So I am leaving you before I get traded in for your next conquest and further shatter my soul.

-S

I blinked in disbelief at the stationary in my hands and rolled over to find cool empty sheets beside me. I sprang out of bed tearing at the sheets in search of a clue. I looked under the bed in childhood hopes she would merely be hiding under the bed. Room after room were the same, empty. I found the phone nestled in its cradle on the kitchen counter and tried calling. When her generic voicemail blared through the earpiece, I dialed again and again, with the same result. No answer. It was over. She was really gone. The rest of my day went by in a blur. I missed her warmth and presence. Keeping myself busy with household cleaning tasks until I started to go stir crazy. I resisted calling again and again. The last ten calls were met with the same digitized voice. Deciding to distract myself, I headed to the mall. Sales, mannequins in short shorts an buxom blondes mimicking the mannequins riddled the mall corridors but didn't lift my melancholy. A thin curly topped redhead at a remote kiosk called me over. With piqued attention but racing thoughts that made it difficult to focus on the words that managed to escape her pouty lips, I strained to listen. When she blinked and smiled revealing her dazzling white smile, I was a goner. 

"Let me upgrade you," was all I heard and so began my next two year relationship.