Chapter 7

"Well?" Curry inquired and moved to the footend of the bed, in order to get closer, "According to your cheerful look, that must have been a sight for your sore eyes " he snickered," What did you see?"

Heyes turned around and glared at his partner with dark eyes, and shook his head.

"Not much " he lied and sat down on the chair after removing his gunbelt, laying it on the bureau instead, "I turned away "

Curry grinned, sensing and seeing that his partner was wrestling with something.

"Turned away, huh? Really? "

"Yeah..." Heyes maintained, but not as credible as he had wanted it to be.

"Uhu! Tough, huh?"

"You have no idea!" Heyes grumbled and gave Curry a nod. His eyes reflecting a vague hint of misery.

Curry's blue eyes gave his partner a rest, and was instead paying their attention to the window and the moon outside, as he cleared his throat.

"Well...as it was so hard an' all, maybe it's better if I do the checking on her further on " he tested, waiting for a reaction from Heyes. And it came.

Heyes eyes went black as he gave Curry a glare that told him 'better watch it, Kid', then he slowly pursed his lips as he regained his calm.

"No. I know about your ways of checking out women " he said low, "We don't need you to snap your trap around everyone you see..."

"Huh? " Curry said amused, knowing this was Heyes' way of saying 'Stay away and keep your hands off, Kid. This one is mine'.

He made a pause.

" SNAP YOUR TRAP?" he then added and grinned widely, " At least I know when a track is fresh " he had to add, knowing it would tick Heyes off big time.

"Whoa hoa..." Heyes stood up shaking his head, "You ...you..." he pointed his finger.

Curry found this whole situation hysterically funny.

"What's the matter, Heyes? Where's your silvertongue?"

Heyes mouth moved but nothing came out as he gestured with his hands in front of him, he knew there was a lot to be said to Curry right at this moment, but both his mind and his tongue seemed to have abandoned him and left him speechless, so he just gave up.

Heyes just dismissed him with a wave of his hand as he sat back down on the bed and started to undress for the night.

Curry eased his way back up on the bed and leaned himself back on the pillow, knowing there had been an end to the conversation. The way it had ended, told Curry there was more to this than Heyes wanted to admit. Smiling to himself, he knew he was soon gonna find out, but then again, he was pretty sure he did already know. But he wasn't sure if Heyes knew at all, if he had any idea of how deep he had already fallen, or if he would ever be able to get up again.

As the morning sun made it's way up on the clear blue sky, Hal sat in his office, his brows furrowed in a worried frown. He put the cup down, which he earlier had filled with coffee, and took another browsing through his pile of papers on the desk. He muttered some unhearable words, and the mumble it procured seemed to amuse the occupant of the only jailcell in the office.

A few moments earlier Hal had been told that his deputy was lying in bed at home, sick and with a very high fever. That sort of wrecked all of his plans for the day to come. And he had made a lot of plans, and at least one of them regarded the scoundrel behind bars.

"Awww Sheriff..." the man snickered and rubbed the end of his mustasch between his thumb and indexfinger, making a nice little twirl on it, "now...that really ruined it for ya', huh?"