The Wings

For one terrifying moment Madeline remembers nothing. She has no idea where she was, what had happened to her and what she was supposed to be doing. All she can remember was running in a hallway, being chased by a man. And escaped by flying......

Madeline’s  head throbbed and She felt backing out again. She tried to fight the sinking sensation, but didn’t have the strength to resist .Her mind was dragging back into unconsciousness.

A sudden remembrance of her being chased by a scientist  brought her back to consciousness. She tries to remember what had happened to her after she flew but there was no answer. Thinking only made her head ache more. Forcing her eyes open, Madeline discovered she was lying on the grass and her wings were close to her body. Covering it like a blankets. It opened when she tried to move.

I have wings! Could it be true that I can fly?... madeline wondered

Her body ached so much she struggled to shift herself out of the way. Turning her head to one side she dragged herself to the river like a dead bird. she saw the reflection of her bruised face her eyes hazel colour cat shaped. Madeline sat up gratefully had a drink with her weak wounded palms, washing her mouth out before taking a large gulp. Swallowing proved difficult. Her throat was raw, the acidified contents of his stomach having burnt their way out. she took another sip, more carefully this time, and the pain eased a little. Through the reflection she could see that her face was a mess. Her lower lip was split, eyes swallowed.

“hungry? I got some berries for you” said a voice

Madeline turned back in pain and saw a young girl, who was dressed in a dirty floral dress. She looked 10 years. She had a bright smile on her dusted face. Her eyes were sky blue and the shape of the eye balls were like cats,  hair was blonde. He held red berries in her small hands as much as she could fill in. And handed it over to Madeline.

 “thanks” said Madeline trying to hide her wings, not  to scare the young girl

Madeline chewed her berries as if she has never eaten anything for ages.

“my name is hana, i found you side the river. I cured you i guess....”

Madeline realises her wounds were covered by crunched leaves.

If she had cured me then could she be knowing that i had wings?

your wings are lovely, you looked like an angel with snow feathers. i saw them while curing you” answers hana as if she could read madeline’s thoughts

Madeline was in shock that she had wings and she could fly and now that another person also knows that she had wings.

“its ok you  don’t have to worry, because even i have one”hana raises her wings, they were colourful.they perfectly fitted her with her floral dress.

“you looked beautiful hana” said Madeline forcing a smile

Could this mean everyone in this world have wings? No thats not possible the man who chased me didn’t have one, while i did. madeline thought

 “Not every one in this world have wings like we do either the scientist who chased you when you tried to escape” answer hana

Madeline jerked astonished ‘y..y.ou... can read mind..?..”

“y..y.es..... i can read minds” giggles hana copying madelines way of asking

“oh my god, thats so......”

“cool?” i know but i can only read them by looking into the eyes. And that also means you can’t hide anything from me!” said hana with cheerful smile