🔥Three🔥

"The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for." -Tucker Max

~

Lena

Lena's breath caught in her throat as she froze standing in the middle of her staircase. Her head pounded with an annoying headache, while her nerves caused her whole body to shake. She wasn't sure what was going on in her life at that moment, but she held her breath as she took one step at a time until she found herself facing her front door. Closing one eye, she hesitantly glanced through the peephole in an attempt to find out who knocked. After seeing one of her best friends standing on the porch waiting to be let in, Lena hurriedly unlocked the door and threw it open.

She didn't give Jay a chance to say anything before she pulled her friend into a tight hug.

"Woah, woah!" Jay laughed as she hugged Lena in return. "You okay?"

Instead of answering her, Lena just stood there on the porch trembling. Before she knew it, she could feel hot, fresh tears falling down her cheeks onto Jay's shoulder. She knew she was cracked—she had known this for years—but she was unsure how much longer she could live like this. How much longer could she survive with her distant mother, her drugs, her parties, her emptiness? Lena was always the one smiling among her friends, but she was the one that hurt the most. The happiest people are the darkest because the people that are closest to them always steal their joy to better their own happiness. Jay and Hannah didn't steal Lena's joy, but they did nothing to help her from feeling so drained from the life she endured. She needed psychological help, but nobody was willing to be there for her in the dark times in life. People just wanted to party and live for the moment; they didn't want to pick up the pieces after.

"Lena, babes, what's wrong?" Jay persisted when she noticed Lena trembling. However, Lena didn't respond. She just held on tighter to Jay as she tried her best to calm down. After the last twenty-four hours of her life, she needed a moment to collect herself. "Lena," Jay began as she pushed Lena away so she could face her. "What the hell is going on? You need to talk to me," she coaxed as Lena stood there covering her own face as she tried to hide her tears from Jay. "If you don't tell me—"

"Shut up!" Lena shouted as she wiped her eyes and her nose. She was a mess as her tears continued to fall from her eyes and her nose continued to drip. "Give me a fucking moment, okay? For once just be my damned friend instead of being such an impatient prick." Lena knew that she was being harsh to Jay, but she didn't care. Of all her friends, Jay was the judgemental one. For not being there for Lena psychologically, she sure pretended to mother her quite frequently.

The two friends just stood there for a moment as Lena stared off into the distance sniffling, and Jay tried her best to push aside her hurt pride.

The breeze was soft and gentle against Lena's overly warm skin, and she found herself feeling much better just from being outside. However, she knew she wouldn't feel better for much longer. After all, her whole life was only a few moments of happiness here and there before the true bullshit would come on its eighteen-wheeler and ram her square in the face. Life was a bitch like that to girls like her, and she got accustomed to it over time, no matter how shitty it was.

"I'm sorry," Lena breathed after a moment as she finally made eye contact with Jay. "I shouldn't have bitched at you like that. There's just a lot going on right now," she began to shake again as she thought about the eeriness of her room, "and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do."