Prologue

I looked up to the sky. It was pitch black, like it usually is at twilight, only the stars and a bright full moon to illuminate the world.

I was void of any real emotions or thoughts, just there, just existing. That's how it has been for centuries now. After you have lived for several thousand years, time starts to lose meaning to you, as do emotions and morals. It is the lack of these humane burdens that allow me to Change someone.

You see, when someone is Changed they either die from the process if they were too weak, or their strength of will and perseverance enables them to pass to the limbo between the living and the dead, and then Rise once again to become one of the Undead. However, when they Rise, they change - hence the name. They sprout new abilities, such as accelerated speed, enhanced hearing and vision, phenomenal strength, extraordinary healing speed... But, at the same time they become cold-hearted, vicious monsters, like myself, feeding off human blood, walking dark and unhallowed paths, lurking in the shadows awaiting their next victim. They become a Vampire

You must be like ice when a Vampire, because anyone with even a drop of goodness would cower at the thought of Changing someone. Not only do you turn them into a horrid monster, but the process is a slow, painful, torturous one. The human is alive and awake throughout the whole of it, and only when it is completed do they die and there strength is tested. The Vampire must slice their victims skin open; bleed them dry; tear the teeth, where the fangs will grow, clean out of the gum; the eyes must be gouged out to be replace by new ones; eardrums must be broken; the nose needs to be ruined and the tongue torn out; they must puncture the heart and lungs and, finally, they must feed the Changeling (human) their blood, which is cold to the touch and like acid - this final tasks ends the ritual, it is when the human can finally die.

All things that are effected in the ritual heal and regenerate while they are dead, if they are strong enough to Rise. If they do Rise, they are sired to the Vampire whom Changed them, until the Vampire decides to release them with the Sacred words of the First.

I Change people in the hopes that one day, one of them satisfies my boredom, gives me a reason to be grateful for the Change, but so far nothing has come close to doing so. And so, tonight, I shall try once more.