Prologue

A/N: This was gonna be a oneshot but idk if i wanna carry on with it cos it's in third person and im not too great at that, so ill see what response this gets and then i'll decide whether to continue with it:) so pls let me know what u think thank. enjoy i guess lmao.

aaron x

Once upon a time, in a faraway land, a young prince lives in a shining castle. Although he has everything his heart desired, the prince was spoiled, selfish and unkind. But then, one winter's night, an old beggar woman came to the castle and offered him a single rose in return for shelter from the bitter cold.

Repulsed by her haggard appearance, the prince sneered at the gift and turned the old woman away, but she warned him not to be deceived by appearances, for beauty is found within. And when he dismissed her again, the old woman's ugliness melted away to reveal a beautiful enchantress.

The prince tried to apologize, but it was too late, for she had seen that there was no love in his heart, and as punishment, she transformed him into a hideous beast, and placed a powerful spell on the castle and all who lived there.

Ashamed of his monstrous form, the beast concealed himself inside his castle, with a magic mirror as his only window to the outside world. The rose she had offered was truly an enchanted rose, which would bloom for many years.

If he could learn to love another, and earn they're love in return by the time the last petal fell, then the spell would be broken. If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for all time.

As the years passed, he fell into despair and lost all hope. For who could ever learn to love a beast?

"Bonjour, Phillip!" The baker calls from across the square. Phil waves politely and smiles cheerily, like he does every morning and continues to the library.

The sun shimmers down in ribbons and there isn't a cloud in sight this morning. There's nothing but a tame breeze that carries the warmth through the air. For miles upon miles nothing can be seen other than stretches of fields and forests, coating the scenery in various shades of green. Nothing can be seen beyond that; as if the village is caged by nature. Flowers of all colours and sizes are scattered over the village and fields, colour bursting through the consistent green. Scents of baked bread and burning wood crackle and simmer in the heart of the village. It's secluded, peaceful and safe.

And Phil hated it.

In some ways, he could appreciate the life he's had. Everything is within walking distance from his cottage, he gets free baked goods and all the villagers are like family to him. But, it's all he's ever known. The walls that shelter him from experiencing anything different, feel like they're moving closer as each day ends and another begins. The houses and shops in the village squeeze that little further together, and the time it takes to trudge back and forth to the library is getting shorter.

The only escape he has from the provincial life he lives is through books. Stories of faraway lands and people, whose lives are thrown into adventure and chaos. Tales of magic and creatures whom don't exist in our world. Imagination is the only way Phil manages to see the days through as well as he does.

Phil finds himself outside the library in under ten minutes. He shuffles his way through the door as he tries to find the book he's due to return.

"Ah Phillip, long-time no see." They both share an amused look with one another. Benny is the librarian here and Phil would argue he's seen him more times than his own farther. "Anything in particular today?" He wanders out from behind his desk and walks up to the small set of shelves beside it.