Chapter One

"Mum, does he really have to stay with us? We don't even know the kid!" I complained for the millionth time this morning. I had just learned that some kid my age is coming to live with us for a while. I think his name was Christian.

"Christian is my good friend from high school's son. Yes, now quit your complaining and get your arse upstairs to get ready! We're picking him up at the airport in fifteen minutes!" My mom whined, giving me a light push towards the stairs.

"Fifteen minutes?! Mum! Tell me sooner next time!" I yelled, hurrying up to my room and getting ready. Within ten minutes, I was dressed, cleaned, and I looked pretty decent, I guess.

"Okay, okay. Ready to go, mum?" My mom took a quick glance at me. Simple and plain jeans, converse, hair pulled up, and a flannel. I have a really odd style, compared to the other kids at my school and in my city.

"You're not possibly wearing that, are you?"

"What's wrong with--"

"Oh, okay! No time left! Come on, we've got to hurry to the airport! Come on, come on!" My mom ushered, grabbing her bag and keys and running out the door. I followed her out, shutting the door behind me and hopping in the car. With that, we drove off to the airport to pick up a kid I don't even know.

****************

I jumped when a finger tapped my shoulder lightly, causing me to turn around. A boy with crazy dark hair and a somewhat adorable sweater stood before me with a cute grin on his face.

"Are you Amanda Scott?" The boy asked, his eyebrows raised. My mom spun around and a wide smile plastered on her face.

"Christian, it's so lovely to see you again!" My mom chirped, making me roll my eyes at her. I hated the idea of this stranger living in our home.

"You too, Mrs. Scott," Christian replied, holding out his hand for her to shake. Instead of shaking his hand, she pulled him into a tight embrace, squealing.

"You and Amanda are going to be great friends. I just know it!"

"Yeah. Great friends," I muttered sarcastically, earning a look from Christian. "Can we go home now?"

"Of course!" My mom grabbed the two bags Christian had, and Christian insisted keeping his other bag that was pulled on his shoulder. "Come on, let's get going."

Finally, I think to myself, smiling. The three of us walk out to the car after searching for a good ten minutes to find it in the maze of cars, put all his bags in the trunk and hop in the car.

"So, Amanda, care to tell me about yourself?" Christian asked me, tapping his fingers against his knee.

Hah. In your dreams, kid.

"No," I say bluntly, staring out my window. I can tell he's frowning. Good. That boy doesn't need to know me, and I don't need to know him.

"Okay," he mumbled with hesitation, shuffling uncomfortably and glancing out his own window.

"Amanda!" My mother hissed with aggravation. "Be nice to him! Hear me?"

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms, my gaze never leaving the outside world. "No promises, mother," I mocked, laughing quietly. But the glare she gave me made me shrink down. "All right, all right! I'll be nice! Promise!"

"Good." She smiled big, and so did Christian.

"I think I'll like hanging around here," he uttered happily.

Don't get used to it.