Prologue

Prologue

   I quietly dropped to the hard floor, being careful not to set off the alarm. Malik followed me down, landing with a loud thump.

“Idiot! You want us to get caught?” I hissed as he fixed his crumpled black shirt.

     He shrugged and mumbled an apology to which I waved off.  I placed a finger to my lips to indicate that we must keep quiet. I wouldn’t have to do that if he was smart enough to realize that being in an abandoned warehouse full of criminals could lead us to a brutal death. He rolled his eyes.  I placed on my night vision glasses and looked towards every stack and box.  I noticed this unusual box which differed in color from the others.

    The boxes were made out of wood while this one seemed to be made out of black steel.  I grinned and took out a pen from my pocket. I put the pen up at the box and pressed the button. Red silent laser shot out and started to imprint a black circle on the black box. Malik slowly tip-toed over and punched the box, not knowing that my laser was still aimed at the box.

     He flinched and hissed.  The impact of his fist made a huge popping sound.  I glared at him knowing exactly what was going to occur in a second.  A crimson colored light filled the empty warehouse and the sound of a siren pierced my ears.  

     Shouts were coming towards us. I looked over at Malik to see him staring agape at the box. I grabbed the contents of the box and grabbed his arm with the other.  I think he got what I was thinking because he started to run.  My legs flexed up and down as I heard shouts and the trigger of a gun. I pumped my arms faster, and I looked up to see Malik rip open the vertical rectangle, a door. 

     A bullet soared passed me and mounded itself in the wall. I cursed under my breath as I heard another trigger sound off.  My heart started to pound in my chest and I could feel it speeding up.  I finally reached the door and ran out to see a black SUV.  Malik hopped in and motioned for me to get in too.  I ran into the car not taking any time to look back. He slammed the door shut and shouted for Tomlinson to drive.

“What happened? Did little Jade make them come back with pitchforks and knives?” Tomlinson teased as he sped away from the location.

“Shut up and don’t call me that.” I groaned and huffed as I placed the contents from that box into a case.  

    Malik smirked and I had every intention to slap that smirk right off of his face.  He shook his head and rolled his eyes a bit too dramatically. I really don’t know why they sent him with me on this mission. No one in their right mind would but Malik, being my boss’ best friend did slide in easily. Usually, Malik was observant and quiet but on this mission, all that described him was clumsy. Tomlinson and Malik were talking amongst themselves laughing a little too much for my liking.

“Can you two shut up?” I said with annoyance visible in my tone.

“Whoa! What’s got your Knickers in a twist?” Tomlinson chuckled as he pulled up to a stop light.

“She hasn’t been laid in a while. I’ll tell you that.” Malik whispered in Tomlinson’s ear, purposely making sure it reached my ears.

    I glared at both of them, making sure that my eyes were able to burn holes through their heads. Oh if only that were possible. They both started to talk again, very loudly and their endless blabber gave me a migraine. Terrible aches swirled around in my head, making me lean my head against the car window.  

“Hey, pass me that water bottle.” I croaked as I rubbed my temple, trying to ease the terrible pain.

    Malik threw a bottle my way, without looking back and it hit me right on my forehead, making me groan. Louis kept his eyes on the road but took a look in the rearview mirror, furrowing his eyebrows. He shook his head mumbling something to himself with his eyes still focused on the road.  I popped open the bottle cap and chugged half of the water down.