Twinsetting

-unedited-

3 years after...

TO BE AROUND for people is not my thing, trust me, but Abigail, she’s a piece of work, I like work. 

I’m used to being on my own, my ma died of cancer when I was 14, and my pa couldn’t get over her death, two weeks later he electrocuted himself while me and my brother were at the skate park.

My brother Chase and I were twins. We were “Chase and Kyle!” ya know? And it was a life that was worth living for, before everything.

Before.

 “Let’s go we’re gonna be late for the train!” Chase was running down the stairs, luggage in hand, ready for the trip of our lives.         

“I’m looking for our tickets man; I’ll be there in a minute! Barbra won’t be home for another couple of hours.”

  Barbra and Dan were our foster parents, our fifth home in two years, but Chase and I are sixteen and we can take care of ourselves.

    “I don’t care when they’ll be back I just want to get outta here. I’m sick of this place!” Chase was opening the door ready as I’ve ever seen him, when he bumped into someone.

 “Where do you think you going?” Dan was holding Chase by the collar dragging him back indoors to the rutty old apartment. I hid behind the curtain. “Did you think you were actually going to make it out of here?”

            “No I…”

    “No, I. No I, what a lovely excuse you should use it more often. I’m sick and they let me leave work and I come home to you trying to run away! Where’s Kyle?”

   Oh no. I just can’t. Go back down now. Don’t you dare come up! AhhhhhhhhhCHu! I sneezed louder than I would have ever thought possible. Shit! I ran out of the curtain with the tickets. I pushed Dan outside to the side walk and he fell down into the garden, well, what was left of it. I grabbed Chase and ran.

  “Whaaa?” Dan was face down in the mound of dirt. He hoisted himself up with patches of dirt all around his round splotchy face. Looking for where we went off to.

   “Our stuff!” Chase was about to turn around, to head towards Dan, but I grabbed him.

“I’ve got the tickets and took 500 bucks outta Dan’s’ savings we’re good.”

We ran down the street never coming back to the small shitty town that is Barrington.