Chapter One

Cade received the call that could change her life forever, which brought her rushing back to her office with a number of scenarios in her head.  Why was she being summoned to a meeting with the boss?  This could be her chance at finding the truth.

Her heart beat erratically as she took the steps two at a time, but she still wasn't fast enough. It helped that she was above average height and obsessed at hitting the gym. Once she reached the top landing, Cade smoothed her hair and made sure she appeared less disgruntled than she actually felt. She grasped the door handle, pushed as much air into her lungs as she could, let out an unwomanly grunt, and willed her heartbeat to slow down before proceeding. It would take seven long strides to get to her destination once she walked through. Relenting to the nervous energy following her, trying to suffocate her, she closed her eyes and pushed the door open.

The silence was not unusual in the large modern office space, but this time, it unnerved Cade.

Juliette, the receptionist and the only friendly face in the workplace, waved at her, pointed to the black earpiece hidden under her fiery red hair, then flicked her thumb over her shoulder. She offered her friend a small smile. Cade rolled her shoulders back and raised her chin. Juliette unknowingly had given her the courage she needed to keep going.

Cade had waited for the call for almost two years. It was time Mac gave her a chance, and Cade was determined to do everything she could to gain the man's approval.

The seven steps took longer than usual, she could feel all eyes on her even though she knew that if she looked around, no one would be staring directly at her. This was, after all, Mackinley Security, the Navy Seal of personal security, bodyguards, private investigators, and other private, covert operations. The men and women, including sweet Juliette, were trained combat fighters, martial arts experts, sharp shooters, and overall badasses. She wrapped her clammy hand over Mac's doorknob before knocking. Without hearing a word, she opened the frosted glass door.

"I got the message," she said without preamble. It was business as usual after all, and an important one at that. She had waited a long time for Mac to give her a chance at an assignment.

Noah "Mac" Mackinley, the former US Army colonel, who, in a charcoal gray suit, white shirt, no tie, and a short haircut, dressed like any other casual businessman, looked up from the file he was reading. He was a serious man who carried around an air of distinction. A small smirk lifted the side of his mouth. "Good afternoon to you as well, Miss Williams."

"Um, yes, sorry...good afternoon, Mac." Cade tried not to fidget. She was good at keeping it together. Usually.

"Why don't you sit down?" Mac waved a large hand to a leather chair in front of his sleek desk. "Zee will brief you."

As Cade took a step towards the chair, a movement to her left caught her eye. She hadn't even realized there was another person in the room, and Zee was a hard man to miss. She chalked it up to her bubbling anxiety. The large man, dressed in all black, nodded a greeting. She returned it the same way, then sat down, back straight, shoulders squared, tensed hands over her shaking knees. She waited for either man to talk.

It was Zee's voice she heard first. "The subject is high profile." He handed her a red folder. As Cade read, Zee continued, "Harley Buxton Clark. Age eight. Female...daughter of Fiona Buxton-Vanderlee and Jackson "Jax" Clark. Currently homeschooled."

All the facts were in the file. She had no idea why the eight-year old was high profile. She made a mental note to do extra research. But the fact she was being assigned to a kid couldn't stop her from saying, "You're making me babysit?" Her eyes stared straight at Mac.